Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

River Don 2023
« on: 08/02/2023 at 09:40 »

The River Don Salmon season opens on February 11th and the March To The River Don to celebrate the river takes place on the first Saturday of the season, so the two actually coincide this year.

The event is open to all who would like to attend and Inverurie Angling Association hopes that a good number of anglers, guests and public will be there to enjoy the event.

As usual, everybody will gather at the Kintore Arms Hotel in Inverurie from 8.45 onwards for tea/coffee/biscuits and then the March To The River will commence at 9.30am.

The event will follow the traditional format, with Piper Paul Malley leading the march down to the river bank below the Don Bridge, IAA President Steve Corsar will say a few words, followed by trophy presentations, the blessing of the river by Minister Rhona Cathart, and the first cast this year will be by Provost Judy Whyte.

The March To The River Don also signals light at the end of the tunnel - only a few weeks to go until the Brown Trout season opens on March 15th.

I hope everybody enjoys a good season  :z16 

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Don 2023
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2023 at 20:30 »
From the Alford Angling association today.

“it is with pride and pleasure I can report that our first springer was taken from our Haughton beat yesterday.  An 18lb fish was successfully hooked and landed by Stuart Mathewson then safely returned to the river.”

Well done Stuart  *smiley-yippee*
I believe it may be the first one of the season with photos.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #2 on: 22/02/2023 at 19:55 »
Looks like there are a few runners on the go.
Another cracker off the Don today.

Duncan

Steven Kidd

« Reply #3 on: 15/03/2023 at 10:46 »
Hi All,

Happy Brown Trout Season!.......today is the first day, :-)

Wishing you all a great season.

I cannot wait to get out........need it to warm slightly though,  >)

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 15/03/2023 at 10:55 »
Great stuff Steven ..... hope you enjoy a good one  :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 15/03/2023 at 16:32 »
So it froze my fingers and  toes after a couple of hours, but the water was clear, if a bit cold at just 5 degrees
Just plain awesome to be out and exploring again.
Kicked the season off after a bit of searching with some heavy tungsten

The fish seemed to be holding in what I would class as dryfly water. some real surprises too, this one had some lovely big red spots

This one did not

Still some Snowdrops about too, which is nice

So for an opening day that I thought was going to be ruined, I've had a blast  *smiley-yippee*

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 15/03/2023 at 16:41 »
Awesome Sandy, well done, that's gonna get us all chompin at the bit  >)

Not so sure about the frozen fingers and toes though .......................... *smiley-grin*

Steven Kidd

« Reply #7 on: 16/03/2023 at 09:50 »
Sandy,

Looking at that I'm going out this weekend if the river stays fishable........I can handle frozen fingers if there are those kind of rewards!

Great stuff :-)

Steven

Matt Hart

« Reply #8 on: 16/03/2023 at 14:15 »
Looks absolutely freezing  *smiley-funny*

Was that just upstream of the bridge of alford? I fished that early last season just to try it out as it was only a 10er or something for a day ticket on fishpal. Seemed like a great beat with some surprisingly deep holes in it!

Steven Kidd

« Reply #9 on: 25/03/2023 at 18:23 »
Hello,

And we are off.....first fish on the dry fly today.  And christened a new rod, :-)

A smattering of LDOs where I was from 1230 through to 1430.  The trout weren't rising to these,  :z8............for 10mins there was a great hatch of March Browns.  Some fish gave themselves away including this one, (right place at the right time)......took a size 10 DHE.

First fish of the year always deserves a selfie,  *smiley-lol*............Oh, and yes it was freezing!!

Tightlines all,

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 25/03/2023 at 18:31 »
Great stuff Steven  >)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 25/03/2023 at 20:06 »
Superb stuff Steve, you did well to get one on the dry today in the cold :z14
I was just upstream from you as you know and I could only manage on the nymph today.
Yesterday saw me get my first on the dry , just after the rain when I found half a dozen fish feeding on LDO's

The tungsten PTN has accounted for the others, this one was very blue

And this one was a proper scrapper

Today the water was a touch coloured and a good bit higher than yesterday , so the white bead came out to play.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #12 on: 25/03/2023 at 20:13 »
Awesome Sandy......never seen that White bead thingy before....

Looking at your photographs I really need to get a new net insert for my MacLean landing net, that old string type is a total pain in the ar$e.........less than pleased with my selfie actually, never realised at the time it was still wrapped round the fishes fin. ::(

Steven

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 25/03/2023 at 20:20 »
I like a white bead when there's a bit of colour in the water.
Its a Liam Tip and it works  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 27/03/2023 at 17:13 »
Stunning afternoon on a river fining down after the wee blip yesterday
Still running at just 6 degrees but nice and clear.

Didn't get down until 2 and sat for a good while watching the pool as there were plenty March Browns about.
Took a while but eventually I got a nice fish to christen the new Steffen 8'6" 4wt with the new GT125 4wt, with the MB CDC spider
Great condition and a cracking scrap.

Had to wait a few minutes for the next one to show itself , but it did.
So a stunning afternoon, some patience and really balanced set up, made for a fantastic afternoon on the water

Really nice to get a couple of Crackers on the Dry  *smiley-yippee*

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com