Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Kidd

Re: River Don 2023
« Reply #50 on: 06/06/2023 at 10:35 »
Hello,

Finally got out on the river the last two nights......great sport after 10pm where I was.  tried the first night to catch this fella and failed........however last night, we got to shake hands, :-).  Caught during the gloaming using an old Clyde Style Wet fly the Cran Swallow.  I just could not get a decent drift with a dry over where he was.......

This fish ran me ragged on the 3wt.......with the water temperatures slightly up, please make sure you recover these fish for a while before releasing, :-)

Fly life has been small sedges which the fish are waiting on at night, along with some olive uprights and a smattering of yellow sallys'.

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #51 on: 06/06/2023 at 14:01 »
Great stuff Steven  :)

I went out just to try a line last night - and it turned into a couple of hours  *smiley-grin*  of great sport with spiders and wets.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #52 on: 06/06/2023 at 14:07 »
There are Seatrout about as well............

Steven

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #53 on: 06/06/2023 at 22:01 »
Cracker Steven, well done :z16 :z16

Steven Kidd

« Reply #54 on: 11/06/2023 at 16:54 »
Hello,

Out last night somewhere.....first time i've had the whole fly line out the rod tip and 20yards of backing as well............what chaos!

During a very sparse sedge hatch at around 2235. :-).........this time the Fly was a Blae and Hares Lug, (Clyde Style once again,  >))

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #55 on: 11/06/2023 at 17:00 »
Great stuff Steven, nothing beats a bit of chaos  >)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #56 on: 24/06/2023 at 21:25 »
Went for a wee walk this afternoon, the river desperately needs some fresh water to bring the temperature down  *smiley-unhappy*

Steven Kidd

« Reply #57 on: 25/06/2023 at 21:02 »
Fresh water has arrived it seems.. :-)

I was out last night and despite a great hatch of sedges, there wasn't alot of activity from the fish where I was.

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #58 on: 25/06/2023 at 22:18 »
The rain dance worked  *smiley-grin*

Duncan McRae

« Reply #59 on: 30/06/2023 at 23:39 »
Managed to get to the river this week for the first time this season.
Having completed my house move, decided to try out my new 'home' water on the upper river.

After the heavy rain, the water felt cold to the touch, so alright for late evening fishing.

Fishing a small pennel and invicta, i was feeling confident of getting something but was surprised at the size of trout i did catch.

Best two measured 21" and 24"
The bigger fish looked pale around the mouth area and i wondered if it might be the bacterial disease that's on the go just now. Didn't notice this at the time only when i looked at the photo.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #60 on: 01/07/2023 at 16:08 »
Nice one Duncan, looks like the new 'home waters' will be fun to explore ...... enjoy  :z16

Duncan McRae

« Reply #61 on: 02/07/2023 at 20:48 »
Cheers Mike

I have fished these waters many times for Salmon over the years but never tried them for trout.
Really looking forward to the remainder of the season.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #62 on: 08/07/2023 at 15:55 »
Nipped down the river for a couple of hours after the mail run yesterday. Conditions felt good, muggy warm and overcast - although the wind was a bit of a pain in places.

The couple of hours ended up being till the back of 10.30  *smiley-grin*  but I was having fun!

Netted lots of nice Brownies and would have gone home more than happy with that.

But I had the bonus of a couple of cracking Sea Trout that were feeding in amongst the Browns.

All on Sandy's CDC Spiders  >)

Typical Sea Trout, leaping about all over the place!

The first one would've been around 3 lbs, the second more like 5 ( only half went in the net ) and I lost a third - which entertained me with a few cartwheels before giving me the finger  *smiley-funny*

Got a photo of the first one.
Had the second one sitting nice and calm on top of the net in the water, I went for the camera - the fish headed for Strathdon  :X1

I don't usually get many pics when I'm on the river by myself ( Billy no mates  *smiley-grin* ) so I was trying out something new, basically setting the camera up on a wee tripod, pointing it in the general direction of where I was going to be fishing, and telling it to take a shot every 10 seconds.

Focus was not ideal, there were lots of pics to delete when I got home, but it actually worked quite well.

A most enjoyable couple of hours .....  :z16

Steven Kidd

« Reply #63 on: 08/07/2023 at 20:25 »
Mike,

That is a cool idea with the Camera......if the weather feels right one night next week i'll be up for meeting for a cast or two, :-)

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #64 on: 09/07/2023 at 08:52 »
if the weather feels right one night next week i'll be up for meeting for a cast or two, :-)
I'll give you a shout if I'm heading out Steven  :z16

Duncan McRae

« Reply #65 on: 09/07/2023 at 10:42 »
Sounds like a great evening Mike.
Great to get the seatrout in daylight hours.

I have the same camera and didn’t realise it could be set up as you have done. Good to know.
Still haven’t had the guts to plunge it under the water either.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #66 on: 09/07/2023 at 14:22 »
I have the same camera and didn’t realise it could be set up as you have done. Good to know.
Took a wee while to work out the settings Duncan, but it's easy once sussed  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #67 on: 28/07/2023 at 10:09 »
Out for a few casts with Steven last night  :z16

Fish seemed a bit picky, but there were plenty of them about.

Darkness is starting to arrive earlier and it felt like a short evening - how time flies when you're having fun!

Steven Kidd

« Reply #68 on: 28/07/2023 at 10:24 »
Lovely evening it turned out to be........I really need to get back out at least twice a week!  :-)

Plenty of great trout about. 

Steven

Steven Kidd

« Reply #69 on: 07/08/2023 at 14:13 »
Hello,

I had a great afternoon on the river yesterday.  It seems things are changing with the late evenings being a bit less productive than they were....at least the last few nights have shown this?
It was a bright day, nothing rising much at all so I fished spiders and weighted nymphs through some deeper channels.  This ended up being really productive, with many bonny fish to the net.

Hatches were sporadic and seemed to be mainly tiny little olives throughout the day, not a great deal of sedges into the evening, so most productive time for me was between 1500 and 1700.  Once the sun went down it got really cold, the car temp gauge read 7deg at 2230.  That is about a 10deg drop!

Steven

James Laraway

« Reply #70 on: 07/08/2023 at 14:45 »
yeah, due to the weather having been rubbish for weeks now evenings are cold and a 'no-go' for fishing sadly...

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #71 on: 09/08/2023 at 15:48 »
I got out for a day last Thursday, first time since end of May.

Had a wonderful day despite the weather, made a new mate who thoroughly enjoyed his day

Some to the nymph in the morning and then a really nice BWO and LDO hatch in the afternoon

So some decent dryfly sport from 3-5 (same as Steven found) some of the better ones were in really awkward spots

But a 16 plume tip seemed to cover the bases, especially when a small sprinkling of Iron blues appeared

Water was a nice height after the rain and is at long last running a good temp at 14 degrees. Don’t think it’s going to go back towards 20 again this year so hopefully a few more days out will be on the cards .

Steven Kidd

« Reply #72 on: 13/08/2023 at 20:47 »
Hello,

Yesterday....I did a thing!!..........For the second time ever I tried some of that tight line french leader nymphing and actually managed to catch fish doing it!.....behold!

Now, it is quite an enjoyable method on the right piece of water, I can see why people love it, :-)

Always good to try new things, :-)

Steven

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #73 on: 27/09/2023 at 16:19 »
I managed to get out today to test a few new rods

Had fun picking away with different techniques, managed some on dry, nymph and streamer.
There was a nice steady hatch of LDO's from around lunch time

meant there were a few risers here and there, this one was a nice plump fish and gave the new 4wt a good test.

Nice stretch of water on a bonny day

nice productive testing too, quite few different lines

Might be Last one, might not, we shall see *smiley-tongue-out*

Mike Barrio

« Reply #74 on: 27/09/2023 at 22:58 »
Nice one Sandy, it felt like a good window for it today!

The rods are looking great in the pics, looking forward to trying them  >)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com