Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum
 

Today's Featured Forum Photo

Switch rod Indicator nymphing

Started by Kym Goldsworthy, 15/05/2017 at 08:42

Kym Goldsworthy

Hi Mike
I'm heading to the Tongariro in July and planning to do some indicator nymphing with my switch rod. It's a 6 piece Shakespeare Oracle Exp 7/8.
I've got your 6/7 switch line but it feels a bit light on this rod. How would your 7/8 switch line handle those budgie sized Big T indicators? Would you recommend adding a polyleader or could I fish the leader straight off the end of the line?
cheers
Kym

Mike Barrio

Hi Kym,

The Oracle rods can be tricky, most folk seem to prefer them underlined, but not everybody.
Sounds like the 7/8 might be better for you if that one feels light. The line will handle polyleaders fine, but I guess they might pull your indicator under, so I'd be inclined to go with the leader first.

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

I played around with indicators on a Switch..not for me, but I was using 12 foot tapered mono leaders and a large "yarn" indicator.

This was on an 11 foot 7 weight switch with Mikes 7/8 line.

Very east to cast, supported big, heavy nymphs and turned over nice. Just found a 7 weight too heavy as I am used to 3-5's for nymphing.

Mostly snap-t's to give a bit of a sustained anchor and away they went. My mistake at first was to try and fish too far. Soon realised that a shorted cast followed by a longer drift was the order of the day. Almost like trotting with a float.

I use the same setup for dead drifting streamers :), and that works better for me.

Kym Goldsworthy

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. Interesting you say that some people prefer to underline it. I just took a look at the Shakespeare site and their 7/8 switch line  (which they say suits the rod) has a 33 ft head that weighs 23 grams (355 grains). The head on your 6/7 switch is 22' and weighs 380 grains. Hmm.   :z8
Maybe I'll go back and play with my 6/7 Barrio a bit more before pulling the trigger on the 7/8.
I'll keep you posted.
Kym

Kym Goldsworthy


Mike Barrio

Yes, that's what I meant Kym, underlined as far as '6/7 & 7/8' goes for rod ratings.

In my experience my 6/7 line with it's 33 ft head ( 22 ft is the front taper and tip ) and 380 grains is nice on the rod.

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Quote from: Kym Goldsworthy on 15/05/2017 at 09:34
Thanks Rob. Really helpful.

Pleasure. If you are in the Aberdeen(shire) area you are more than welcome to try my 7/8 on the rod.

Kym Goldsworthy

Cheers, Rob. It's a fair drive from Sydney, Oz, but you never know. Appreciate the generosity of your offer.  :z16

Rob Brownfield

Quote from: Kym Goldsworthy on 15/05/2017 at 10:24
Cheers, Rob. It's a fair drive from Sydney, Oz, but you never know. Appreciate the generosity of your offer.  :z16

Ah...might be an issue! lol.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com