Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kym Goldsworthy

Switch rod Indicator nymphing
« on: 15/05/2017 at 08:42 »
Hi Mike
I'm heading to the Tongariro in July and planning to do some indicator nymphing with my switch rod. It's a 6 piece Shakespeare Oracle Exp 7/8.
I've got your 6/7 switch line but it feels a bit light on this rod. How would your 7/8 switch line handle those budgie sized Big T indicators? Would you recommend adding a polyleader or could I fish the leader straight off the end of the line?
cheers
Kym

Mike Barrio

Re: Switch rod Indicator nymphing
« Reply #1 on: 15/05/2017 at 09:07 »
Hi Kym,

The Oracle rods can be tricky, most folk seem to prefer them underlined, but not everybody.
Sounds like the 7/8 might be better for you if that one feels light. The line will handle polyleaders fine, but I guess they might pull your indicator under, so I'd be inclined to go with the leader first.

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 15/05/2017 at 09:24 »
I played around with indicators on a Switch..not for me, but I was using 12 foot tapered mono leaders and a large "yarn" indicator.

This was on an 11 foot 7 weight switch with Mikes 7/8 line.

Very east to cast, supported big, heavy nymphs and turned over nice. Just found a 7 weight too heavy as I am used to 3-5's for nymphing.

Mostly snap-t's to give a bit of a sustained anchor and away they went. My mistake at first was to try and fish too far. Soon realised that a shorted cast followed by a longer drift was the order of the day. Almost like trotting with a float.

I use the same setup for dead drifting streamers :), and that works better for me.

Kym Goldsworthy

« Reply #3 on: 15/05/2017 at 09:32 »
Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. Interesting you say that some people prefer to underline it. I just took a look at the Shakespeare site and their 7/8 switch line  (which they say suits the rod) has a 33 ft head that weighs 23 grams (355 grains). The head on your 6/7 switch is 22' and weighs 380 grains. Hmm.   :z8
Maybe I'll go back and play with my 6/7 Barrio a bit more before pulling the trigger on the 7/8.
I'll keep you posted.
Kym

Kym Goldsworthy

« Reply #4 on: 15/05/2017 at 09:34 »
Thanks Rob. Really helpful.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 15/05/2017 at 09:45 »
Yes, that's what I meant Kym, underlined as far as '6/7 & 7/8' goes for rod ratings.

In my experience my 6/7 line with it's 33 ft head ( 22 ft is the front taper and tip ) and 380 grains is nice on the rod.

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 15/05/2017 at 10:15 »
Thanks Rob. Really helpful.

Pleasure. If you are in the Aberdeen(shire) area you are more than welcome to try my 7/8 on the rod.

Kym Goldsworthy

« Reply #7 on: 15/05/2017 at 10:24 »
Cheers, Rob. It's a fair drive from Sydney, Oz, but you never know. Appreciate the generosity of your offer.  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 16/05/2017 at 08:34 »
Cheers, Rob. It's a fair drive from Sydney, Oz, but you never know. Appreciate the generosity of your offer.  :z16

Ah...might be an issue! lol.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com