Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Hanging up my d/handers...
« on: 15/06/2023 at 08:08 »
Morning folks,

I'm just wondering if I'm alone in this...

With the way things have been this season across the country in regards to returning salmon numbers. I am now at the point where I am strongly considering stopping fishing for salmon (never thought I'd ever pen those words).

Year on year i spend a small fortune chasing silver tourists and I've now reached the point where I just can't justify the spend given the very limited return for my efforts.

For now I will not be booking any beats and will concentrate on my local angling club waters but even then its more a case of casting practise than anything else.

It's a sad state of affairs and whilst I would love the situation to change for the better I just dont have the answer and I cant personally see it happening either.

I could genuinely cry!

Steven.

Bob Mitchell

Re: Hanging up my d/handers...
« Reply #1 on: 15/06/2023 at 08:39 »
Know how you feel. The trouble for me would be that it is the anglers eyes that spot and report things like pollution / poaching and other problems
I can not see it getting any better but hope i am wrong. Do not know what is going on in the sea but there is plenty we could do in the rivers. When i started fishing 70 plus years ago we would go out and clean out the spawning burns and take care of other problems. Now most of the fishers just pay and fish with no further interest in the water or its soundings,
Bob.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 15/06/2023 at 08:42 »
Hi Steven  :z16

You are not alone I'm afraid  *smiley-unhappy*

I have received quite a lot of emails from salmon anglers asking for advice about gear because they are looking at moving to trout fishing.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #3 on: 15/06/2023 at 09:49 »
I have found I catch more Salmon when fishing for Trout.......and no Salmon when actually trying fishing a DH and Salmon flies.............so maybe fishing for Trout is indeed the answer to catching more Salmon,  *smiley-lol*

Steven

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 15/06/2023 at 13:33 »
Know how you feel. The trouble for me would be that it is the anglers eyes that spot and report things like pollution / poaching and other problems
I can not see it getting any better but hope i am wrong. Do not know what is going on in the sea but there is plenty we could do in the rivers. When i started fishing 70 plus years ago we would go out and clean out the spawning burns and take care of other problems. Now most of the fishers just pay and fish with no further interest in the water or its soundings,
Bob.

Bob,

I wholeheartedly agree that a lot more could be done on land (I fear that whatever problems are at sea will not be rectified).

"When I were a lad" we had teams of keen fisherman who would gladly go and ensure that spawning burns were free from obstruction for migrating fish but alas of late it has only been myself and a good old friend of mine who have taken the time to do it 😔

Whilst I may well be hanging up my d/handers I will sure as shit still be trout fishing, walking the banks and keeping a keen eye on pollution/Feb issues etc.

I really do hope things can bounce back but my optimism is dwindling rapidly.

🍻

Steven.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 15/06/2023 at 13:35 »
I have found I catch more Salmon when fishing for Trout.......and no Salmon when actually trying fishing a DH and Salmon flies.............so maybe fishing for Trout is indeed the answer to catching more Salmon,  *smiley-lol*

Steven

Haha I think I'll stick to high stick nymphing. That will cover me for both bases 😅

On a side note. I was in your office today. Matt bouchett mentioned your name as I (as always) began yapping about fishing to anyone that's willing to listen 😅

Cheers,

Steven.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #6 on: 15/06/2023 at 14:36 »
Ha......yes I sit just around the corner Steven, And remarkably I am even in the office today......

There have been a few reports of you dishing out flies on your visits to Ithaca as well...........

:-)

Next time, come say hello.

Steven

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 15/06/2023 at 15:45 »
Ha......yes I sit just around the corner Steven, And remarkably I am even in the office today......

There have been a few reports of you dishing out flies on your visits to Ithaca as well...........

Next time, come say hello.

Steven

Haha I must remind Frazer to keep such things quiet 😅

Cool I'll swing past next time I'm in 👍 don't suppose you're the same Skid from eastsidevw days 🤔 if so we did cross paths MANY moons ago 👍

🍻

Steven.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #8 on: 15/06/2023 at 15:55 »
Nope thats not me Steven.....

I was a Peugeot guy back in the Boy Racer 90s.

Steven

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 15/06/2023 at 16:22 »
205 GTi ?

Nope thats not me Steven.....

I was a Peugeot guy back in the Boy Racer 90s.

Steven

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 15/06/2023 at 16:26 »
205 GTi ?

I had a minter of a Diablo red 106 gti. Its right up there with my mk1 golf gti in my list of cars I should never have sold... *smiley-sad*

Cheers,

Steven

Steven Kidd

« Reply #11 on: 15/06/2023 at 16:28 »
1.6 GTi...............with an Mi16 engine and twin 45s.....

Steven

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 15/06/2023 at 16:32 »
1.6 GTi...............with an Mi16 engine and twin 45s.....

Steven

Throw a dimma body kit on that and you'd have one of my favourite motors. Absolutely love wee French hatchbacks. Only got rid of a clio 182 about 18 months ago.

For back road hooliganism the French have it covered 😎

Cheers,

Steven.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #13 on: 15/06/2023 at 18:13 »
I already told Steven a wee while ago that I am not fishing for salmon anymore.

I just think that the numbers retuning to our rivers don’t make it viable for me to harass an ever decreasing population. This was not an easy decision to make as I have access to some nice water so this was not based on cost.

I will of course carry on fishing the locus and rivers for our fantastic wild brown trout.

I am certain that many people will be coming to the same conclusion.

I can’t see this turning around in my lifetime but hopefully the scientists and the riparian owners can fix the current state of affairs for the younger anglers and future generations of anglers.

Eddie

Dave Robb

« Reply #14 on: 16/06/2023 at 01:00 »
According to Fishpal, 2 salmon recorded so far this week (4 days) on the Dee.

I’ll stick to to the trout,

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com