Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Highland fishing 2023
« on: 20/04/2023 at 09:57 »
So, i finally dusted off the trout rods and got out for a 1st cast since Sept 2022 !
Thought i would take a day off and head down to a loch near Ft Augustus. Sadly there was a rather brisk North-Easterly and after about an hour of seeing nothing I popped onto my 'backup loch' which I had only fished once but turned out to be chock-full of trout.
Sadly the wind was whistling there too so my chosen spot was out of the question as casting straight into a NE wind was going to be no fun - so I set off to explore the loch...
I did pretty well early off despite the wind and got a few small trout and as the day went on the wind dropped a bit and the fish went nuts - I even managed my first 'double header' for a while
The size of the fish was nothing to write home about however they could fight on a #4 and the amount of takes was amazing - they were very pretty little fish too.
I reccon i caught 20 odd fish.....and missed far far more.
Top scoring fly at a ratio of about 4:1 compared to any other fly ? My pink tailed kate ordie....
It was lovely to be out again..
Scenery was amazing, saw deer and all sorts of wildlife

Mike Barrio

Re: Highland fishing 2023
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2023 at 11:02 »
Nice one James and some bonnie pics  :z16

Matt Hart

« Reply #2 on: 20/04/2023 at 14:02 »
Lovely stuff, hoping to do quite a bit of highland loch fishing this year  :z14

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 20/04/2023 at 18:50 »
Great stuff James - can't wait to get up there. Should be able to try the KO's on wild Welsh fish before then.

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 20/04/2023 at 20:06 »
Reminds me that I need to get 'little me' out after something other than stockies. Very nice James, must have been nice to be out  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 09/05/2023 at 10:16 »
Took an opportunity to pay a visit to Lochindorb yestarday. The wind made things a tad tricky but I did manage to winkle out a small pike ( sorry - no picture of the fish  what with the waves i didnt want to drop my phone in the water as i was in my tube...)

Here are a few 'scenic' photos

Matt Hart

« Reply #6 on: 10/05/2023 at 10:01 »
There are a couple of smaller lochs just to the north east of Lochindorb that I've been meaning to try. Any chance you've had a go in them before? Loch Allan, Stuart, Tree and the Black Loch. They look to be very peaty in sort of a wetland area.

James Laraway

« Reply #7 on: 10/05/2023 at 10:45 »
I've seen them when driving past and have stopped for a look. To me they looks very 'pikey' with lots of reed beds and deep looking peaty water. The bigger ones have boat houses on them and no fishing signs so I think it fair to say they have fish. Who has the fishing however is a different matter.....

Alex Russell

« Reply #8 on: 10/05/2023 at 11:47 »
Fished them years ago, mostly small trout plenty sport though, belong to Moray Estates.

Terry Coging

« Reply #9 on: 26/05/2023 at 09:11 »
Our little group will be headed up to the Assynt region tomorrow. We will fish the usual Lochs - Cam, Veyatie, Urigill, Assynt.
I am also booked on Little Loch Awe. Last time I fished there (for free) was from the bank almost 50 years ago. Just a single boat allowed on there now.
Hoping that it lives up to it's reputation for the Mayfly.

Alex Russell

« Reply #10 on: 26/05/2023 at 09:29 »
Fished loch wee 5 years ago had a nice one between the islands, on it you catch a drouge it might be mine, in my haste I chucked it over the side it did not seem to be slowing the drift, turned round to pull on the role to open it up and I had never tied it on  doh.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 26/05/2023 at 09:36 »
Our little group will be headed up to the Assynt region tomorrow. We will fish the usual Lochs - Cam, Veyatie, Urigill, Assynt.
I am also booked on Little Loch Awe. Last time I fished there (for free) was from the bank almost 50 years ago. Just a single boat allowed on there now.
Hoping that it lives up to it's reputation for the Mayfly.

Enjoy  >)

James Laraway

Camping and fishing
« Reply #12 on: 05/06/2023 at 11:01 »
So just back from a weekends camping with a pal of mine. We stayed on a campsite near Ft Augustus. To say it wasn't really fishing weather was an underestimate. It was boiling hot with bright sunshine and a north to north easterly breeze - all weekend !

No matter, we cracked on .

Spent Friday afternoon on one loch. Normally i do really well with lures on this loch as it has lots of minnows. My mate was on small wets and emergers. Suffice to say that by lunch he was 4-0 up and things were not looking good - for me anyway !

We sat down for lunch and he said " i'll just pop my flies out...."

Of course within 2 mins his line zipped away to make it 5-0. Urgh.

Luckily after lunch a change to a longer leader and a change of flies then a quickly got 4 on the bank and missed a few.  So all was well again in the world. Plus as you will see on the photo a heard of wild goats came down

Next day we were on Ruthven. The weather was even hotter, however there was a good ripple. Did we catch anything ? Not a sausage. I got the only pull of the day.

On the way back we stopped at a touristy bit and took a few photos - plus saw what was either a golden or a sea eagle !

After the disappointment of blanking on the Saturday i suggested a reliable loch on Sunday  (the weather was hot and sunny again with a northerly).

Sure enough we each has 20-30 fish each by lunch and the sport was fast and furious on a mixture of dries and emergers.

Good times. No trophies but sometimes its about the enjoyment, the company and the scenery

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 05/06/2023 at 12:04 »
Great stuff James, I'm looking forward to a trip up North soon too, and hopefully seeing some of these Brownies in the net  :z16

Terry Coging

« Reply #14 on: 05/06/2023 at 14:03 »
Nice report and pics James  :z16
I got back from a week around Assynt on Sat.  Fished from a boat on Boralan, Urigill, Camma , Veyattie amd Little Loch Awe. Caught plenty on all five. Most fish to the mayfly, sedge and PTKO. Best fish over a pound from Boralan but best average size from Little loch Awe = two to the pound with 3 of about a pound. On our last day we made a visit to Lagg fishery, simply because we had never been there before and it piqued our interest. Two small lochs stocked with rainbows. Unbelievable - a ten pounder first cast! We all caught several fish the smallest being 5lb. They were not slobs either. Lovely fish that took off like trains in the shallow water.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com