Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Wulff Ambush Neutralizer - a review
« on: 14/04/2023 at 20:36 »
I am/was a huge fan of the SLXi, the intermediate versions of the SLX and I still have three of them. Much like the SLX prototype that I did my casting instructor qualification with, they're lines I won't part with until they need to be retired - they've all seen high levels of use  *smiley-wink* Anyway, with the SLXi a thing of the past and replacements needed, I sat in front of the computer logged on to eBay one night - with a large dram of a size commensurate to its age - I found myself buying a Royal Wulff Ambush Neutralizer.  Some weeks later, I popped it onto a reel and the other day I put it through its paces fishing in gale force winds at Achagour trout fishery, at the back of Nairn.

Now I have always been a fan of the Wulff lines, and there was something about the specification of the Ambush that appealed to me even more than the Nymph taper I have taken to using to save my SLXs. The Ambush has a very, very compact head, at 18 ft it's a brick on a string and I really do like that. I like that a lot.  It's punchy. It's one false cast or a nice waterborne anchor and boom- and I do mean boom - it's just zips  >) Chuck in a cheeky wee haul on a Spey cast and this is one interesting line.
In heavy winds it coped really well, turnover of two 'early season' specials with tungsten heads was no trouble. I could see this line being incredibly useful on a river, where I do like to fish an intermediate or neutral density headed line when single handed Salmon fishing. For those with Switch or Trout Spey rods this could be an interesting line to play with.
Ultimate distance isn't going to be a forte of this line, it'll go if you ask it,  but that's not its function. Delicate :? No sir. Not at all. Effective :? Oh yes indeedy.
Turning over 'complex' gear with minimal space and with minimal fuss is what these lines are all about and if, like me, this appeals to you them my advice is go find one whilst you can. I believe that the 'Neutralizer' was replaced with a new clear intermediate headed version of the Ambush, which I have yet to try.
Now, pass the whisky. I'm off to eBay  *smiley-wink*

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com