Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Wood

Barrio Smallstream
« on: 21/03/2023 at 18:32 »
I am new to Trout fishing and will be tackling the Lyn in Devon this year. I have a 7ft GR60  wt 3 rod.

The Barrio Smallstream line has been recommended ...... and I am minded to purchase.  I will be using a WF3 line with size 18/16 flies.   A quick question is what tapered leader/tippet would you recommend ?

Many thanks Dave (newbie :-)

Mike Barrio

Re: Barrio Smallstream
« Reply #1 on: 21/03/2023 at 19:45 »
Hi Dave ...... welcome to the forum  :z16

Thanks for looking at the Smallstream line. Since you are new to trout fishing, I would suggest one of my 5ft light furled leaders, as these have a seamless ring to tie your tippet to and you are likely to change flies more often when you start out ( you can explore other tapered leader set ups as you progress and find your personal preferences ) I would add a length of 5X tippet to that for the fly sizes that you mention and might also carry some 4X for sub surface tactics, or bigger flies.

If you do order the line, I will weld a micro loop on the line for you, which will help to make a 'loop to loop' connection of the line and leader strong and easy.

I hope that helps.
Best wishes
Mike

Dave Wood

« Reply #2 on: 21/03/2023 at 20:16 »
Hi Mike

tks for quick response , I will order line and a selection of leaders tomorrow then  along with some backing line also need to pick up a reel so will take a look at whats around. Any suggestions welcome (within reason & Mrs Woods budget :-) )

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 21/03/2023 at 21:11 »
I can't help you with a 3wt reel I'm afraid, they've all gone.

There are lots out there to choose from, a Danielsson might be a good option for example - https://danielsson-flyreels.se/en/f3w-2six

But I'm sure other forum members can help with more suggestions ......

Cheers
Mike

John Wastle

« Reply #4 on: 24/03/2023 at 13:02 »
The Dannielson is a lovely reel. If it is a bit over budget then the Orvis Battenkill II 3-5 is worth a look.

I had my new smallstream #5 out this week on an Epic 580. I built this in the winter of 21/22 but didnt really get going with it last year. First impressions with the ss are excellent.

Dave Wood

« Reply #5 on: 28/03/2023 at 14:16 »
Many thanks..... tempted by the Daniellson, its a bit pricey although still trying to work out the best Dannielson reel for my light weight setup ........  7f GR60 #3   using a Barrio Smallstream line

Steven Kidd

« Reply #6 on: 28/03/2023 at 20:22 »
Hi Dave,

For that rod and line combo, I would go for the Original Series Dry Fly, I have that same reel and its great on light rods, :-)...........or if you want a drag system the 2Six is a great option.

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com