Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Fly line welded loops.
« on: 19/03/2023 at 11:18 »
Always experimenting, in search of elusive perfection  *smiley-grin*

Barrio Black Belts  >)

It is difficult to know what is best, as everybody seems to have different preferences.

I could spend loads of time welding loops on to all the lines - but I know that a lot of folk cut them off new lines when they receive them  :z8

My answer has always been to offer a custom welded loop service as an accessory - do you think that is the best idea?

Steven Kidd

Re: Fly line welded loops.
« Reply #1 on: 19/03/2023 at 21:18 »
Mike,

I think your doing it the right way.......on light lines I still like a wee nail knot.  On 5wt and up there is nothing at all wrong with the Roman Moser loops and the flex they have, I prefer them to a welded loop, far less bulky.

That's just me, others may think different?

Steven

Fred Hay

« Reply #2 on: 20/03/2023 at 08:19 »
Mike

I much prefer the welded loop but not too keen on the shrink tubing sleeve - I have tried it and find it can catch on the rings when playing a fish close in with a long leader.

I have also found that the leader sometimes cut into the welded loop, cutting through to the inner core so either use the Roman Moser braided loop or make up short double braided loops which protect the welded loop and allow a loop to loop connection to the leader.  Seems to work out OK and I've not had a cut or damaged welded loop since.

Fred

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 20/03/2023 at 09:39 »
I'd go for welded any day of the week.

The shrink wrapping looks pretty good though mike  :z16

I tend to use 'your' Roman Moser loops I must say - although they, like the shrink wrapped loops, do catch in the rings....

Luckily this doesn't tend to affect me too much as i dont tend to use super long leaders

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 20/03/2023 at 10:50 »
My preference is welded loop (no sleeve) on sinking lines.
Roman Moser on most floating lines.
Nail knot for fine tips and dries.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 20/03/2023 at 18:07 »
Great feedback thanks  :z16

All good fun ..... it's good to experiment, and to maybe offer more choices in the future.

Mike Barrio

Re: Fly line welded loops. New
« Reply #6 on: 21/03/2023 at 15:26 »
Still playing  :)

WF7F line and a size 12 spider.

Mike Barrio

Re: Fly line welded loops. New
« Reply #7 on: 14/05/2023 at 15:49 »
I'm busy preparing parcels for tomorrow as usual, as the Royal Mail depot is only open till midday on a Monday.

Offering the lines with three options, it is interesting to see what choices are made.
(1) Without any loops (for those that prefer to craft their own connections).
(2) With a custom welded loop.
(3) With a fitted braided loop.

I'm finding that customers are choosing all three options, a custom welded loop being the most popular, but not by a big margin.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com