Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Olive wet fly
« on: 02/03/2023 at 19:16 »
Taken a good bit of inspiration from the Stone Goat and Clan Goat for this fly, could be an Olive Goat I suppose.

Pattern:
Hook: FullingMill Heavyweight Comp Size 10
Thread: Semperfli Nano Silk White 18/0
Tail: Semperfli SemperFlash Guala & Red Blend
Rib: Gold Wire
Body: Vicuña Dubbing Welsh Gold
Body Hackles: Whiting Hen Dyed Yellow and Sooty Olive Wound Together
Collar Hackles: Dyed Olive Guinea Fowl Over WOIGO Hen Over Dyed Orange Guinea Fowl

James Laraway

Re: Olive wet fly
« Reply #1 on: 02/03/2023 at 22:18 »
Liking the flashy tails your doing these days. I think I'll follow suit...

« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2023 at 09:02 »
Cheers James, With the cloaking collar hackles I think the effect should be a little more subtle in the water.

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2023 at 09:46 »
Robert - that has got to be one of the 'fishiest' wet olives I've seen!
BTW it was a pleasure to meet you at the bffi show.
re Your entry for the mayfly contest -  for me and my assistant, it was the best entry, until closely challenged by 2 others.
Surprisingly BOC only placed one of the others in the first three! My remit was a little different to his though.
I would have posted pictures but lost my bloody camera and my ancient phone won't do closeups.

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 06/03/2023 at 09:55 »
remind me where you get your hen hackles from ?

Cheers James, With the cloaking collar hackles I think the effect should be a little more subtle in the water.

« Reply #5 on: 07/03/2023 at 20:02 »
Thanks Terry, very kind of you to say so. It was a pleasure to meet you too, and hear about and see your Wafting rods.

James, I get the Whiting red label hen capes from Premier Angling. The do some cracking dyed capes as well.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com