Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Left or right handed rods?
« on: 28/01/2023 at 18:20 »
OK you can adjust your reel for LH or RH use. What about having a rod built with guides that favours a LH or RH user?
Please visit me at the BFFI show where I can show you  LH and RH guides fitted on my new wafting rod  *smiley-wink*
ps - they are not snakes.

Hamish Young

Re: Left or right handed rods?
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2023 at 18:52 »
I am curious Terry, I can see the potential in the concept - but if I am right handed and casting a single handed rod over my left shoulder would guides configured for a right handed caster not be compromised somehow :?

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 03/02/2023 at 21:16 »
The guides that I make are only fitted to the rod section that is added to convert a 12' light switch rod into a 14'6"wafter.
This section can be added when the switch rod is set up without having to re ring the line.
When the rod is held in the right hand the line is looped through the guides with the left hand. Likewise, a left hand held rod will have the line looped with the right hand.
These guides are single leg and because they may get pulled around a bit, the seat has to be longer and wider than normal. Stainless steel spring wire is not good for cold swaging so I have to forge the seating and file to shape. I've made simple jigs to shape 3 sizes so far. Time consuming to make but fortunately there are only two fitted per rod.
Seriously - this RH, LH stuff is a bit gimmicky, however, extending the rod to enhance the action of the top dropper is definitely not.
I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 06/02/2023 at 15:27 »
Here is a Waft 'opennguide'. Intended for when a rod section is added to make the rod longer, without the need to re-ring the line.
This one is for those who hold the rod in the right hand and makes looping the line through the guide come naturally.

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 06/02/2023 at 15:36 »
Here is the new Waft Loch System comprising a 12' 4pc #4 switch and the extension to convert to a wafting rod - or for dapping.

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 06/02/2023 at 22:25 »
Looks lovely Terry.....

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 07/02/2023 at 14:54 »
Whilst you have very much piqued my interest with your "wafting" technique I'm curious about those rod rings.

Just from looking at your picture it would appear that there's a good chance for the line to work its way out of a loop when in use? Perhaps I'm looking at the picture wrong but the idea of playing a good fish and the line popping out and wrapping itself round an eye doesn't sound like a terribly appealing situation 🤔

Cheers,

Steven.

Terry Coging

« Reply #7 on: 07/02/2023 at 16:31 »
That was my first worry Steven but I can assure you that is not the case.
Nothing is impossible of course but I've tried to get the line trapped without success.
Of course these 'openguides' are on the section above the handle and there is a proper lined stripper guide on the handle section.
I would agree with you if it was used as a stripper guide. A  US manufacturer uses a different design as a stripper guide but I dismissed the idea for the reason you mentioned.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 07/02/2023 at 19:41 »
Cool! In which case I can see a few scenarios where a rod lole your describing could come in handy for me 👍

From the rod your describing it could actually come in handy for some of my more "darkside" seatrouting. I could see the use for a switch rod that I could then extend and use for dropping worms into wee pots and runs at range in low water  *smiley-tongue-out*

Cheers,

Steven.

Terry Coging

« Reply #9 on: 12/02/2023 at 07:54 »
Plenty of visitors at the BFFI show tried looping the Waft 'openguide' yesterday and brought a smile to a few faces.
Not a single mention about the risk of getting a tangle.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 12/02/2023 at 09:56 »
There you go Terry  :)

Terry Coging

« Reply #11 on: 12/02/2023 at 17:11 »
Who is that ugly old guy standing in front of my banner?
Had a great day today. Post a pic of the Mayfly contest winner when I get it.  A few less entries but of a higher quality than last year.

James Laraway

« Reply #12 on: 12/02/2023 at 17:44 »
It's a great ruse to get a few new flies Terry  *smiley-lol*

Terry Coging

« Reply #13 on: 12/02/2023 at 23:08 »
It's a great ruse to get a few new flies Terry  *smiley-lol*
Absolutely James  *smiley-wink* However they did cost me £100!
It's such an interesting way to learn - to see how different folk see things . Most entries were by pro tyers. Every entry out of 19 was of a high standard :z16
I will enjoy fishing and testing with all but the first three, which will be kept for prosperity. Pics tomorrow.

Terry Coging

« Reply #14 on: 17/04/2023 at 16:06 »
Today I tested a concept rod for light Loch fishing. It's 9'2" 3pc #4 with and additional 2' section to make 11'2".
Best line was a #4 Smallstream. Sweet and effortless. Just 20 seconds to add the extension, made possible with 2 x 'openguides', (now a Waft Ltd reg design).
It worked out that I have a reasonably fast, dry fly or light pulling rod that can be converted to a drifter - to work that top dropper more effectively.
Only 5 weeks before it is tried on a proper wild loch  *smiley-grin*

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com