Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matching DT lines to rod casting weights
« on: 22/01/2023 at 11:46 »
As a complete newbie to fishing DT lines, could I please ask for advice on matching lines to rods...

I have a 9' #5 Hardy Demon Smuggler which I would normally fish with a #5 Barrio GT90.

This season I want to try one of Mike's new DT Sink Tips for nymphing, loch style wets etc

The article in this month's FF&FT suggests that a DT5 line is the equivalent of a WF6, so should I actually downsize to a DT4 to get the equivalent of a WF5?

Thoughts?

Mike Barrio

Re: Matching DT lines to rod casting weights New
« Reply #1 on: 22/01/2023 at 13:11 »
Hi Andrew

Good question - If you like the GT90 #5 line on your rod, then you should hopefully find the DT #5 an equally good fit  :z16

Magnus kind of summed that part up by saying "I'd go for the line weight which matches the rod and be willing to experiment".

Thing is, back in the day, rods were frequently rated as #5-7 for example, but that has pretty much been replaced by single line rod ratings nowadays. Possibly helps to increase rod sales, if you can sell a customer a #5, #6 and #7 rod, why rate one rod #5-7.

I think what Magnus is getting at, is it is still worth experimenting today, nothing has changed. All fly rods are usually happy with a line weight up, or a line weight down. Sandy and I play with this a lot. A line weight down will tend to feel a bit lighter and crisper, a line weight up a bit heavier and slower. This can have many practical uses and is also good fun, as long as the line has a well balanced profile ( not a brick on a string ) you will find yourself naturally adjusting to the set up.

Cheers
Mike

Magnus Angus

Re: Matching DT lines to rod casting weights New
« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2023 at 14:03 »
"All fly rods are usually happy with a line weight up, or a line weight down."

Yes!

And some brands more one way or another - I have a Winston I like, which suits #5 and #6 lines, rated a #6 - I've had Sage rods rated #5, #6 and #7 (XP, TCR etc) which all suit heavier lines. This is about how a rod brand gets a sort of signature 'feel'. For example modern Hardy rods tend to be stiff, they might suit a line heavier especially if you are casting short,. eg fishing a small water.

So, for most normal fishing a DT line is not really a distance line - casting geeks may disagree. Similarly a sink tip is not an ideal distance line - even casting geeks cannot disagree :) I'd suggest there is a fair chance the DT5 line I was playing with might be a little light or a little heavy depending on your taste and the type of fishing you are doing. It's worth experimenting with your fly rods, using a line light or a line heavy.

I read a warning online, on a well known forum, not this one, that using a line heavier or lighter than the maker's recommended line can break rods and or can void your warranty. Nonsense!

Magnus

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com