Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Smock or Jacket?
« on: 14/01/2023 at 10:33 »
Smock or jacket - which do you prefer?

I like the ones in the photo for different reasons, and I think both would make a good fishing jacket.

Example photos from Hoggs of Fife

Mike Barrio

Re: Smock or Jacket?
« Reply #1 on: 19/01/2023 at 11:55 »
Don't all answer at once  *smiley-lol*

Maybe you just prefer branded 'fishing jackets' ?

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 19/01/2023 at 12:06 »
Smock for me 👍

I was gifted a loop smock in exchange for a lend of an outboard and I've pretty much lived in it since 👍

Cheers,

Steven.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 19/01/2023 at 12:26 »
Sounds like you got a good deal Steven  :)

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 19/01/2023 at 13:04 »
i like a smock...

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 19/01/2023 at 16:13 »
I usually wear a wading jacket, however I have been looking at various smocks for boat fishing.

Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 19/01/2023 at 19:51 »
I have never really explored the options available in smocks, something I will have to look into.

I do have a bit of a bugbear about cuffs on "fishing" jackets. Realy prefer to have something which does a half decent job of trying to keep water out. I haven't found anything completely water proof that isn't just about a dry suit. For this reason I tend to stay away from non fishing jackets for fishing.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 19/01/2023 at 23:17 »
I have ordered the smock in the photo, I had a similar one many moons ago and I remember that I really liked it.

The art of getting them on and off might prove a tad more challenging 40 years later  *smiley-grin*

But I'm looking forward to putting this one through it's paces this season .....

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 21/01/2023 at 21:11 »
Smock arrived today - I'm really pleased with it, superb quality  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 22/01/2023 at 11:13 »
Good call Mike, Hoggs of Fife sell quality gear👍👍

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 23/01/2023 at 07:51 »
Given the opportunity, I'd opt for a smock over a jacket on grounds of practicality - especially if I found myself fishing big lochs from boats on a frequent basis. Running back upwind in a half decent wave - especially if you're on the engine - can be a damp experience  *smiley-wink*

Kav Ring

« Reply #11 on: 25/01/2023 at 20:13 »
I like a smock and have been wearing a Ventile Hilltrek one for work (hedgelaying) really tough and windproof but gets a bit stiff when really wet. I have been thinking about a wading jacket as a winter option as think I could carry most of what I need in the pockets but might need a few other things first.
Robert, I know what you mean I'd love to have a coat with water tight cuff

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 26/01/2023 at 07:48 »
I do have a bit of a bugbear about cuffs on "fishing" jackets. Realy prefer to have something which does a half decent job of trying to keep water out.
If you haven't already, take a look at the Orvis clearwater wading jacket, these feature the “Dolphin Skin cuff system.” This system worked well for me and in previous Orvis models of wading jackets has been adjustable for tension, essentially the cuff forms a waterproof seal when you put on the jacket.  I always found this feature bloody handy, although on my last wading jacket from Orvis the cuffs detonated after 4 seasons, which for me was too soon for the price tag - it would likely have been swapped under their guarantee system but by then I had already replaced the jacket.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #13 on: 28/01/2023 at 14:45 »
Hello,

Smock for me, I like trying out clothing for fishing and hill walking.  The best I have is also the least expensive......Made in Finland the Varusteleka Sarma smock, £70 and is some bit of kit.  Base layer under it and your never too hot or too cold.   It is also comfortable under chest waders being a soft kind of polycotton / canvas material.

If you want to make it waterproof and still breathable, then wash it in some of the Nikwax Cotton Proof that goes in the washing machine, costs £10.

Other favourites I have are my Buffalo Systems Smock, or if it is torrential I have a posh Paramo which at the price I don't like to take fishing......in case of a wayward hook!

Steven

James Laraway

« Reply #14 on: 30/01/2023 at 21:43 »
You got a link to that Steven? I'm intrigued...

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com