Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stephen Callaghan

Fly tying vice for beginner -suggestions?
« on: 05/01/2023 at 21:20 »
Hi all ,
I'm coming round to the idea of learning(!) to tie my own flies so wondering what you might suggest for starters ? I am thinking of looking at used models and lower budget should I not get on with it ! I can always upgrade if/when motivated and have more money to spend.
I would appreciate any thoughts(or signposting prior threads if I've missed the obvious) . Thank you

Re: Fly tying vice for beginner -suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/2023 at 21:20 »
There are a plethora of options of there and a lot of the choices will come down to personal preference.

My first vice came with a Veniards tying kit. It was something like this:
https://www.theessentialfly.com/vicespro-aa.html

I used that vice for almost a year before upgrading it. A perfectly serviceable vice and plenty good enough to get to grips with tying and figure out if it is for you and something you wan to get more serious about.

From that vice I grades to a Snowbee Flymate, this won't break the bank and has a rotary function which is very handy. To be fair it is a little fiddly to set up at first but for the money is a very good vice. A good stepping stone if you feel the need to upgrade but are still undecided about how serious you are on tying.

From there I suspect vice choice will be heavily driven by personnel preference and budget. Not sure I could comfortably recommend further upgrades. By then you should have a fairly good idea of what you like and been able to get close to a few vices at shows or shops.

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #2 on: 07/01/2023 at 09:19 »
That’s good advice IMHO. Not part of the question but I would suggest starting gently. What I mean is learning the basics of thread control, handling materials and whip finishing to initially produce a limited range of simple flies that will catch fish. Suggestions - F fly, Griffiths gnat, spiders, killer bugs and beaded nymphs.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 08/01/2023 at 08:21 »
Stephen any cheap vice will do the job, to get you started. The one Robbie reccomends is the one my son used to use.
I have a couple of them currently in storage, otherwise i would have sent you one. Should have everything back end of Feb when we Move again. :X

Have you considered the materials you will need? if you are just getting started the simplest pack is the best.
https://www.fishingmegastore.com/fly-tying-kits/veniard-beginners-guide-to-fly-tying-materials-pack~949.html
this has everything you need to get going. if you get into tying then you will buy the things you want to do certain patterns and its a long and very slippery road to poverty :X2
these guys have the Kit, Book and vice/tools as a set. the book is a great way to get started.
https://www.fishersdirect.com/beginners-guide-to-fly-tying-basic-kit-8350-p.asp
Tyers all have their own pet obsession, it will be interesting to see how you get on, its fantastic fun :z16

Stephen Callaghan

« Reply #4 on: 19/01/2023 at 20:36 »
Thank you to everyone for the suggestions which fits with my thinking .That is "start gently" and not expect great flies and ability straight off.I think the advice has been spot-on and reassuring.
I'm in no rush to get started but now more certain of the direction I'll take . The book suggestion and veniards options will be the way to go .
Once again,thank you everyone !
Stephen

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com