Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kevin McPherson

Hook Selection advice
« on: 26/11/2022 at 20:02 »
Hi Folks , looking to tie up some dry flies for next year , Not something I usually tie , Did a couple with my very old remaining Kamasan 170 but looking for other more modern options, any suggestions much appreciated looks too be a massive selection nowadays,
🤙

Sandy Nelson

Re: Hook Selection advice
« Reply #1 on: 27/11/2022 at 08:22 »
Hi Kev

Hooks are a bit of a pet obsession with me. After trying all kinds over the years the best ones I have found and the only dryfly hook I use is the Fulling Mill FM5050 in black nickel. It is  standard wire so much stronger than the light wire Partridge SLD/Tiemco 103 which are the same shape. I believe Partridge now have an SLD2 which sounds like it’s the same but I haven’t tried any to find out. I have total confidence in the FM5050.

The other hook I use is a Diaichi D900 for nymphs and emergers that require a curved profile. These seem to be discontinued now which is a bummer as they were very strong but not to heavy. I have enough stock left for a couple of seasons but I’ll either have to find some more or find a suitable replacement

Hope that helps  :z18

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2022 at 09:29 »
Thanks Sandy Ill have a look at those , suppose size fourteen would be a good size to start off with ?
🤙

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 27/11/2022 at 13:10 »
I’d say a 14 covers 50% of the flies I use.
12-16 covers 90%.  :z18

« Reply #4 on: 30/11/2022 at 12:42 »
I also like the Fullingmill Ultimate Dry hooks.

Lucian Vasies

« Reply #5 on: 22/12/2022 at 10:37 »
Hi,
Daiichi 1130 can be an alternative. Then if you like  Hanak H300 with a standard wire is also interesting. Personally  I like Hanak H390 BL which is for dry fly fishing ( light wire ).

Cheers,
Lucian

Ed Madrigal

« Reply #6 on: 23/12/2022 at 18:36 »
Hi, it might help  start tying dry flies with those one with a long shank like the Partridge model. My favourite has always been Tiemco.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com