Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

What's Your Glass?
« on: 04/04/2022 at 15:44 »
Great to see the ever growing popularity of modern glass rods, so practical, and such good fun  >)

I have a Freestone 79 built by Sandy ...... What's yours?

Eddie Sinclair

Re: What's Your Glass?
« Reply #1 on: 04/04/2022 at 15:56 »
Built by Sandy I have a 376, a 476, a 580 and an 888.

Does this qualify me as a glass tart?

:X2

Eddie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 04/04/2022 at 16:06 »
Great stuff Eddie ..... nice rods  :z16

Yes, Glass Tart qualification approved  *smiley-grin*

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 06/04/2022 at 06:46 »
Not mine as I have it on loan for a bit - amongst one or two other rods - an Orvis Superfine Glass 8'8" #8wt.
I tried it out for a few casts last week on the banks of the Beauly and I have to say I am intrigued, smooth but powerful with very, very good recovery. I may have to go try it on some Carp or perhaps a Pike or two.
Convert me to glass :? Unlikely, but it is interesting :!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 06/04/2022 at 08:31 »
I think it’s an as well as, H.
My collection seems to change regularly as I’m lucky enough to get to try all sorts. A bit like the carbon market we are getting to a point where there aren’t many poor glass rods out there. Consequently it’s more about what suits you and the purpose.

My current working collection consists of a Sakura 7’ 3wt, Yomogi 7’3” 4wt, Steffen 7’9” 3/4wt, Steffen 8’ 4/5wt, ijuin Bubble 7’11” 4wt, iconoglass 8’6” 8wt.

The current selection of demos are all from Dusty smith at Livingston rods. They are a 7’, 7’6” and 8’ in a 4wt and 8’ in 5 and 6wts

Other favourites include ijuin Beni 7’5” 4wt, Yomogi 7’3wt,  ijuin Hard Para 7’5” 4wt, Epic 370, Epic 476, McFarland Classic 693, 763 and 794, Spruce creek 723 and 794 and the Steffen 8’ 3/4wt. All have their place depending where you are going to use them, most are shortish dryfly rods for presentation and accuracy at ranges up to 60’ mostly at 30’ I tend to pick depending on the size of the river. Although 4wts are a bit of an obsession

I am spoiled , however if it’s blowing a fair wind I will still reach for a 5 or even 6wt carbon

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 06/04/2022 at 10:06 »
That's a lot of nice toys Sandy  >)

Terry Coging

« Reply #6 on: 06/04/2022 at 11:35 »
Crikey! A lot of glass out there. I was impressed with the way James's wee glass rod performed and been considering one.
Where does the CTS Chrystal Glass  fit in? - looking at the Quartz 480?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 06/04/2022 at 16:56 »
Terry

The CTS glass is very nice, they made the original Epics and there own rods are all on superb taper designs.  They can be a bit pricey but are worth the money.
If you are after a Glass gateway drug , the the Taniwha 476 is a superb blank and builds into a brilliant fishing rod.  Later in the year I will have more of the Livingston blanks too and they are the best value for money I’ve found, as well as being some of the very best casting rods I’ve tried. Dustys 8’ 4wt is an amazing light allrounder and awesome dryfly rod. Limited to black or clear but they are fabulous fishing tools. I’ve demos in most sizes if you want to try one first and may be persuaded to sell a blank or two  *smiley-wink*

Sandy

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: 07/04/2022 at 06:41 »
I love the colour of some of those blanks. The issue would be having to buy coloured reels to match, it would cost a fortune

I love my wee taniwha 476 and hope to get a glass #6 so I can retire my carbon....

So Terry - i would advise one of 2 options.

1- if Sandy has the time commission him to build you your dream rod
2 - if Sandy doesnt have the time then buy a Taniwha rod from Mark at Taniwha rod works. If you email him you can do a fair amount of customisaton in terms of reel seat, spacer ( i love my mojito acrylic one!) , agate etc

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 07/04/2022 at 13:01 »
I love the colour of some of those blanks. The issue would be having to buy coloured reels to match, it would cost a fortune

Any colour as long as it is black 😜

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 07/04/2022 at 13:11 »
I’m on Rainey day projects already over the last couple of weeks, between flu and the weather.
So have been adding a couple to my own collection to fill holes caused by sales  :X1

This is one of my favourites, not that convenient for most folk, but my fishing rods tend to spend the season built up and this fits in the car complete. This is the big river dryfly rod. The 2pc blank is smoother and lighter in the hand and feels more true. 7’9” and a spot on 4wt and is the closest I have to a goto rod.

I was experimenting with Wasabi green silk on the chestnut blank. It goes really well with the Struble Earth titanium seat which is a greenish bronze. I like it  >)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 07/04/2022 at 13:18 »
Looks great Sandy  >)

Steven Kidd

« Reply #12 on: 08/04/2022 at 23:46 »
Ooohhh, I love my glass rods and are all I use, :-)

I have a Taniwha 476 in light grey / blue blank which I built myself and just love to fish with 80% of the time on the River, everything from dries, spiders and wee bead head PTNs etc.

I also have a Scott F2 774 which is a great dry fly rod for the River, also capable of presenting a couple of spiders upstream.

Then I have a Livingston 9' 6wt YS Glass built by Sandy which does everything from hill lochs, both floating and intermediate lines, to streamers on the river and the odd visit out to a stillwater.

Always a space for another....  *smiley-wink*

Steven

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #13 on: 09/04/2022 at 17:45 »
Another vote for Taniwha 7’ 6” #4.
Bought the kit from Andrew during the first lockdown, combined with Mike’s #4 Smallstream its a cracking wee rod. For various reasons I’ve only tried it on rainbows but it handled fish to 3lb plus no problem.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #14 on: 09/04/2022 at 20:08 »
Another vote for Taniwha 7’ 6” #4.
Bought the kit from Andrew during the first lockdown, combined with Mike’s #4 Smallstream its a cracking wee rod. For various reasons I’ve only tried it on rainbows but it handled fish to 3lb plus no problem.

It handles Salmon up to 90cm as well........ *smiley-lol*

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com