Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: Braided Loops
« Reply #15 on: 24/02/2008 at 18:50 »
If you put the needle through the line, I thought this was the needle knot?

Yup - it is.... but both use the same final knot - nail knot is a needle knot without passing the leader through the line.

I use what I think is the nail knot? Which is putting a nail or needle alongside the fly line, wrapping round four or five times and then passing back through under the wraps ......... works for me :wink

I used to try using a nail or knitting needle to do the same thing but gave up, just do it 'in hand' these days  :shock

But I cheat and use the "multitool line clippers" that make it so much easier :z4

That's cheating  :! but if it works.... will have to try one of those fancy tools one day  :wink

goosander

« Reply #16 on: 24/02/2008 at 20:35 »
Thought i would add my experience of braided loops in case others have had the same problems. A few years ago i was given some to try. While fishing for seatrout in the low water with size fourteens and six lbs. nylon i was getting knocks but no firm offers. On working my flies back i saw several fish go for the loop. Cutting off the loop i went back to my old method, ie a knot at the end of the fly line and a loop at the start of my cast [so much for fishing fine] and things went back to "normal".
Regarding nail knots. I got from a tackle shop a small gadget which you wrap the nylon round five times, slip the fly line into the slot and tighten carefully. It takes less time than it took me to type this paragraph.
May i also add how much i enjoy your site and the way you all help each other.

goosander

« Reply #17 on: 24/02/2008 at 20:36 »
helo

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 24/02/2008 at 20:42 »
Hi Goosander

Funny you should mention that, I have often seen this at the fishery, very often in fact ......... and anglers will complain of "getting nips" that they can't hook :wink

Great to have you on the forum too :z16

Best wishes
Mike

goosander

« Reply #19 on: 24/02/2008 at 20:49 »
Thank you. Have often noticed that say a rise to say a small black fly hatching on the water and trout will rise to the knot on the fly line, why

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 25/02/2008 at 00:22 »
Your guess is good as mine ........ I sometimes wish we could ask them :z4

Possibly simply the disturbance on the water?

Best wishes
Mike

Irvine Ross

« Reply #21 on: 25/02/2008 at 09:07 »
Hamish

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Sorry I should have said needle knot to avoid confusion but I have always thought of it as a version of the nail knot.

I have always been nervous of using the nail knot without threading the leader through the line core. If you just tie it around the outside of the fly line you are only attached to the outer plastic covering. There is a chance it could sheer off and the leader would go with it. :cry

Am I being too cautious :z8

Irvine

Hamish Young

« Reply #22 on: 25/02/2008 at 09:42 »
If you just tie it around the outside of the fly line you are only attached to the outer plastic covering. There is a chance it could sheer off and the leader would go with it. :cry

If you're worried you can also throw in a couple of hitches or do a "mirror" two turn nail knot with the line core onto the leader before you pull things tight...if you use 'my' method.
That way it's very secure and you certainly shouldn't have any "sheering off" issues at all - only 'spy' is it becomes bulky  :z10

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 27/02/2008 at 09:31 »
For floaters 6wt and above and all my sinking lines i use Moser minicons, brilliant little beasties
And at about an inch long they dont affect the characteristics of the line.
On lighter lines they do affect the balance so use a needle knot like Hamish, although
instead of a needle or nail try using a short section of tube, ie the centre of a cotton bud or the like
it makes life much easier :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com