Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Indicator Leader
« on: 21/01/2008 at 22:28 »
Howdy,

What type of bite indication leaders/ methods are recommended for use on the river when upstream nymphing, czech nymphing etc.

I purchased an 'Indicator Leader' from www.czechnymphs.co.uk which appears to be nothing more than two sections of Polyester Braided backing (one Hi Viz Orange and one Hi Viz Yellow) , looped both ends and spliced together, which I'm sure you just treat with your floatant and away you go. A problem that I can see is that both loops and the splice are secured with what appears to be superglue resulting in 3 ridgid sections in the leader. It's 16" long which I feel might be a little too long for my liking.

I've made a couple of shorter Hi Viz Orange indicators (using Wychwood Braided Polyester Backing), loops secured with Fly-Tite which is more flexible and will try these this weekend when Czech nymphing on the Earn.

just being curious as to what others are using, if at all

Goolager

Hamish Young

Re: Indicator Leader
« Reply #1 on: 21/01/2008 at 22:50 »
I use a large dry fly tied pretty much on the end of the fly line - works for me :z17 even takes the odd unwary trout  :wink but is a little 'unstealthy'  :z6

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2008 at 05:56 »
Iain

Once i got the hang of Czech style, there is basically very little line, if any on the water
so its more like freelining a worm than flyfishing (damned effective), i found no need for an indicator. But i suppose you could have the braid only ,on the surface and use it as pretty good indicator

Sometimes for normal upstream nymph fishing an indicator is quite useful, if required i would tend towards the dryfly approach as well i'm afraid :roll

Sandy

Jim Doyle

« Reply #3 on: 23/01/2008 at 10:28 »
Iain , talk to Campbell or Daver on Sunday, both have wide experience of the style you are looking for . jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com