Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Kidd

Partridge and Gold Spider
« on: 06/02/2022 at 21:09 »
Hello, :-)

Been a while, hope you are all well.  I finally got round to starting for the season ahead, this pattern served me well last year, taking my two best trout on the Don early season.  Clyde Style from Robert C. Sharps book.  Maybe a bit overdressed, but works for me, :-)

Steven

Mike Barrio

Re: Partridge and Gold Spider
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2022 at 10:41 »
Great stuff Steven, hope you enjoy a good season  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2022 at 11:49 »
im assuming that its just 'tradition' that people use straight eyed hooks for spiders ?

« Reply #3 on: 07/02/2022 at 14:01 »
That’s a nice looking fly.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2022 at 20:45 »
im assuming that its just 'tradition' that people use straight eyed hooks for spiders ?

I think so James, I first noticed the straight eyes on some of the old North Country spiders and liked the look, the hook in the photo is a Partridge Spider hook with what they call a captain cook bend?.....nice wide gape which I like.......this was the fly / hook I landed the 3lb brownie on last year.  I got away with murder landing that fish as the line went slack, wrapped round my leg and all sorts, the hook held.....which all helps with confidence.

Steven

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: 09/02/2022 at 10:09 »
I do like a nice wide gape on a hook. These seem to be even more pronounced on barbless hooks, which i would like to see more off on barbed hooks.

nice story about the fish  *smiley-lol*

I think so James, I first noticed the straight eyes on some of the old North Country spiders and liked the look, the hook in the photo is a Partridge Spider hook with what they call a captain cook bend?.....nice wide gape which I like.......this was the fly / hook I landed the 3lb brownie on last year.  I got away with murder landing that fish as the line went slack, wrapped round my leg and all sorts, the hook held.....which all helps with confidence.

Steven

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: 25/05/2022 at 13:03 »
P. and G. is my favourite sea trout fly.  Fished it in a bright sunny day in a we world of my own and 20 minutes a sea liced 18 lb. fish All on size 12 or 14 hooks.
Bob.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com