Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Whip-finishing
« on: 15/01/2022 at 10:40 »
Interesting article on mastering the whip finish by Magnus in this issue of FF&FT.

Must confess that fly tying is not my forte and I usually fish with flies kindly made by friends. I do dabble, and used to tie flies back in the Haddo days, these fished very well and caught their fair share of fish. But - I've always been a tad lazy and finished with a few half hitches.

Perhaps the time has come to get myself a whip-finishing tool and put in a bit of practice!

Hamish Young

Re: Whip-finishing
« Reply #1 on: 15/01/2022 at 10:59 »
I whip finish, but without the aid of a tool.
It's something I have been meaning to try (whip finish tool) but just never quite got round to it and - after some 36 seasons of fly tying - I don't suppose I ever will  :X1

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 15/01/2022 at 12:00 »
I can whip finish by hand but I use the tool, however it is at least thirty years old and I am so used to it that I can’t get on with some of the newer designs. My old fashioned one gets the job done quicker and neater for me.

Eddie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 15/01/2022 at 12:09 »
Magnus rates the Matarelli tool.

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 15/01/2022 at 15:05 »
I use a whil finish tool, but not properly. I just use it to create half hitches !

Steven Kidd

« Reply #5 on: 16/01/2022 at 19:20 »
Yep,

I use a tool, I learned how to use it when I used to go to fly tying in Mastrick, forget where it was now, but a nice chap gave me a wee brass handle tool and I still use it.

Now i really must get around to tying  batch of Partridge and Gold Spiders.......I really must find some time. :-)

Steven

« Reply #6 on: 16/01/2022 at 19:26 »
I use a whip finish tool. I can just about whip finish by hand but find it is not as neat or precise.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com