Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Something different New
« on: 28/10/2021 at 09:27 »

I did this with Pete Tyjas a few days , it was fun and apart from the bit where I forget the difference between horizontal and vertical  :X1  and worked through this years fish in my head beat by beat , I enjoyed it. I hope you might too and maybe it will inspire a few winter projects  :z16

https://www.buzzsprout.com/402997/9435681-sandy-nelson-large-trout-fishing-glass-and-rod-building

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Re: Something different
« Reply #1 on: 28/10/2021 at 15:03 »
I enjoyed that Sandy  :z16

I can honestly say that this is the first podcast that I have actually listened to all the way through  *smiley-grin*

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 28/10/2021 at 16:14 »
Thanks for sorting the link.
You are used to me talking all the time though *smiley-funny*
Must have been nice to have a volume control  *smiley-tongue-out*

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 29/10/2021 at 11:24 »
Thanks for sorting the link.
You are used to me talking all the time though *smiley-funny*
Must have been nice to have a volume control  *smiley-tongue-out*

Yeah, just like old times in the hut  *smiley-lol*

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 31/10/2021 at 22:22 »
So I'm not all the way through yet but there were some revaluations...

1) Sandy sound like a Geordie ! Who knew....😆
2) Sandy hates 'keeper rings' ......
3) what's this about an 8lb wild brown and why haven't I seen the photos???

Great podcast and well worth a listen

Ps - most of my PBs have been caught when fishing for other  species....
6lb plus Don brownie...caught salmon fishing
5lb seat trout...caught salmon fishing
8lb13 wild brown...caught pike fishing
16lb rainbow...caught pike fishing

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #5 on: 31/10/2021 at 23:47 »
Enjoyed listening all the way through and watered the already planted seed on a custom build. Was surprised too at both Sandy’s accent and mention of the as yet unseen 8.4 lber  :z14

Just assumed the accent would match the regular mentions of inverurie.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 01/11/2021 at 06:53 »
 *smiley-funny* *smiley-funny* *smiley-funny*

You have seen photos, you just didn’t realise  *smiley-tongue-out* I got the 8lbr on the 27th of Feb during high water on a  2” copper tube GBWG. 27.5” long against my net. It was my first fully submerged dunking of the season (stepped backwards into the river while weighing the fish in the net  *smiley-lol*) so the photos were done underwater as the camera was soaking and so was I so had nothing to dry it with. I didn’t  post it as it was out of season and doesn’t count. *smiley-sad*

The accent has always thrown folk.  *smiley-tongue-out* Forres born, I did primary school in Co. Durham.  Secondary school in Inverurie and been NE based ever since. Never lost the accent :z8

Glad folk are enjoying the podcast though. If anyone does plan a build just shout if you want to know anything

:z18

James Laraway

« Reply #7 on: 01/11/2021 at 09:56 »
aaaaaaaaaaah -  you got it in Feb.....nightmare. A seriously impressive fish though .....

I guess you know where he/she now lives now thought. Saying that  - that is no guarantee of catching it.

I once caught my only pike >  '20' from loch Kinord and I didn't have scales or a camera with me. Went back to the same spot many times and never saw her again  :(

Mind you i never used the same bait again - as i'd had a 2lb jack pike die on me and then used it for bait....it was that bait that got me the fish !

I caught my best pike after she has spawned and she still pulled the the scales round to 28lb. A month or so earlier im 100 % sure she would have been in the mid-30s.....

Stevie Rennie

« Reply #8 on: 01/11/2021 at 17:26 »
Sandy that is an absolute cracker  :z14

Quite a trout pout on it too  *smiley-grin*

Out of season maybe but better to have caught than to never have caught at all.

Some serious pb’s there too james  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com