Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Kidd

Blae and Ginger - Clyde Style
« on: 12/04/2021 at 09:18 »
Hackle maybe a bit overdressed on this one?....they look good on the vice, but as soon as you zoom with that camera, it is so unforgiving!

Steven

Peter McCallum

Re: Blae and Ginger - Clyde Style
« Reply #1 on: 12/04/2021 at 09:52 »
Hate taking pictures of flies every little detail shows up like a beacon and every mistake no matter how small looks huge  :z4 :z4

Just as a matter of interest what thread are you using?

Steven Kidd

« Reply #2 on: 12/04/2021 at 10:08 »
Peter,

i've been trying to use silk, which really makes things a challenge, Semperfli silks in the old Pearsalls colours, however it is very thick.

Steven

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 12/04/2021 at 10:31 »
Pure silk is great for tying traditional spiders but can be a bit thick for winged flies as you need to keep thread turns to an absolute minimum.  The only winged wet i use it for is a Greenwell. Personally I use Semperfli's 18/0 waxed thread for my clyde styles though 12/0 will do the job. t can't find a blae &ginger photo off hand but this is tied on a 14 hook with 18/0  waxed.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #4 on: 12/04/2021 at 10:33 »
Now see that is the business!

I'm away to add some to basket, much neater head shape and size. :-)

Steven

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 12/04/2021 at 11:03 »
Heres the greenwells using pure silk. There's 2 turns of waxed silk holding the wing, one if which is also holding the hackle plus another turn over the hackle which cocks the wing 1 - 1 1/2 turns of hackle secured by one turn then three turns in the whip which also secures the hackle. As long as the thread is well waxed it's pretty much glues together.
Then again you can use 12 or 18/0 and get the same effect with more turns if you desire.

Steven Kidd

« Reply #6 on: 12/04/2021 at 15:26 »
Peter,

Just stunning, I am going to make a real effort to dress mine more sparsely, I am still overdressing these I think.

:-)

Thanks for all the tips Peter.

Steven

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 12/04/2021 at 20:32 »
Always delighted to spread the word about clyde styles  :z13

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com