Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

pike flies - keeping it simple
« on: 18/06/2020 at 09:33 »
So, now I'm getting back into pike fishing I've been tying up some new flies.

These ones are quick and simple to tie - and more importantly they look nice

Underlying this is a cone and some lead wire. The flash tail and everything is the tied in front of this

and with a rattle

Kav Ring

Re: pike flies - keeping it simple
« Reply #1 on: 24/09/2023 at 22:12 »
Sorry to dig up an old thread! I've started fishing for Pike down here! Do you think rattles make a difference? I'm fishing Thames and tributaries  so pretty slow and murky water. I've tied with some Icelandic sheeps wool and rabbit but was wondering in synthetics might be a better bet to keep weight under control (rather than casting half a wet dead bunny ;))

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 25/09/2023 at 11:27 »
Hi Kav
So rattles make a difference ? Who knows  *smiley-lol*. Must of my flies don't have them but some do.
What i tend to do now is fish with a couple of big metal cones running free on the wire leader. This serves 2 purposes - it sinks the fly faster than my intermediate line ( and also imparts a nice 'sink and draw motion) and also the 2 cones 'clink' against each other - a bit like the noise you would get from a rattle ( only cheaper and you can alter the colour / amount/weight of the cones (the cones i use have big holes so are easy to thread and are designed for sandi tubes))
In terms of materials stay away from rabbit as it weighs a tonne when wet and so casts like a wet sock
Synthetic flash and some bucktail (reverse tied to give volume) is the way to go im my book, with maybe some wool for the head.
This is making me want to get the #10 out again...

Kav Ring

« Reply #3 on: 25/09/2023 at 15:34 »
Awesome thanks! cones seem a great idea, i’ll get tying.  I’m very tempted to get a 10wt too!
I was looking at winter Pike options north of the boarder. I’m thinking of doing a backcountry snowboard/snowkite trip sometime but would like options too fish if conditions dont work for snow!
Admittedly probally going to be hard going in dead of winter but hey

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com