Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Re: Highland Lochs 2020
« Reply #15 on: 08/07/2020 at 19:36 »
turns out that my 'gopro' copy was still recording during the fight....

No idea what i said so the audio makes little sense  :z8

https://youtu.be/ANaTL7nresI

James Laraway

« Reply #16 on: 10/07/2020 at 23:28 »
took a trip out this evening but when i arrived at the loch the wind was blowing and there was a bit of a chill in the air. No matter , i thought it was worth a cast.  The wind had really put the fish down but i did manage to land two and lost one. This was the better of the two

within two minutes of landing this one got a great take and the leader parted. Very strange as i had just landed this fish now worries. Very fustrating...

The second fish I landed is bigger than it looks in the photo but not to worry, both nice wild fish.

The first took a muddler , the second a dunkeld sparkler

James Laraway

« Reply #17 on: 19/07/2020 at 19:43 »
Normally I go out for pike and catch trout. Last night I went out for trout and.....

Including this wee specimen

James Laraway

« Reply #18 on: 28/07/2020 at 09:32 »
after trying and trying i managed to get in amoungst the perch last night, and ended up with about 6 of them. Mostly to zonkers.

You would not think its hard to catch perch on the fly but I've struggled this year !

Also managed a few wee pike on a 'martins minnow'

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 28/07/2020 at 23:37 »
Yes, it's funny, you can catch plenty of perch while fishing for trout ..... but trying to fish for perch can be another matter  :z4

On the few waters that I've found them, they seem to like a size #12 to #14 wet fly with a bit of red in it?

Cheers
Mike

James Laraway

« Reply #20 on: 29/07/2020 at 09:44 »
Yes, it's funny, you can catch plenty of perch while fishing for trout ..... but trying to fish for perch can be another matter  :z4

On the few waters that I've found them, they seem to like a size #12 to #14 wet fly with a bit of red in it?

Cheers
Mike

I've found it the same with pike. When i am fishing lures for trout i constantly get hammered by small pike. Ive caught more pike on yellow dancers than trout by a ratio of about 10 to 1

Maybe i'll tie up some massive yellow dancers for the pike  :X1

James Laraway

« Reply #21 on: 02/08/2020 at 22:21 »
and back out after the  wild trout again tonight. Sadly the evenings are getting shorter and colder but it didn't stop me ...

a lovely marked trout in top condition..

Allan Liddle

« Reply #22 on: 02/08/2020 at 23:19 »
Cracking fish James.  Be careful when you grip them that way though as you can damage the internal organs.

James Laraway

« Reply #23 on: 03/08/2020 at 09:32 »
Cracking fish James.  Be careful when you grip them that way though as you can damage the internal organs.

Hi Allan, i think the fact that i was wearing an angled video camera, the light and the angle i was holding the fish does make it look like i was holding it in a 'vulcan death grip' . I can assure you that was not the case so you can sleep easy. I actually moved over to a 'GoPro' type camera so that i can take stills from the video. I find that this way i get the fish back in the water in a fraction of the time compared to if i used a normal camera or phone - as if i was in the tube and wanted a photo i would have to h to land the fish, unhook it , make sure it couldnt flip back into the water while at the same time root about for the camera (without dropping it) , try and get the fish in a position for a good photo etc etc...
Using a video means less good shots but i think its better for the fish  :z16 :

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 03/08/2020 at 20:27 »
Nice spots  :cool:

Allan Liddle

« Reply #25 on: 04/08/2020 at 18:41 »
Hi Allan, i think the fact that i was wearing an angled video camera, the light and the angle i was holding the fish does make it look like i was holding it in a 'vulcan death grip' . I can assure you that was not the case so you can sleep easy. I actually moved over to a 'GoPro' type camera so that i can take stills from the video. I find that this way i get the fish back in the water in a fraction of the time compared to if i used a normal camera or phone - as if i was in the tube and wanted a photo i would have to h to land the fish, unhook it , make sure it couldnt flip back into the water while at the same time root about for the camera (without dropping it) , try and get the fish in a position for a good photo etc etc...
Using a video means less good shots but i think its better for the fish  :z16 :

Hi James, apologies as i didn't realise you were using a Go Pro on the still shots, thanks for the update.  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #26 on: 24/09/2020 at 09:19 »
put my #4 through some challenges yestarday....

Big rainbow vs #4 and click and pawl reel...

https://youtu.be/wtYojoEOLVc
https://youtu.be/IcV1z-JiRI4

James Laraway

« Reply #27 on: 05/10/2020 at 15:16 »
nothing to to with loch fishing but i had my first and last trip after salmon on saturday morning, on the Nairn.
Lost one, caught one and missed one. Plus landed 2 trout - which surprised me as there arent many in the Nairn...

https://youtu.be/aQ9nY7Luz2M

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #28 on: 05/10/2020 at 16:57 »
James,

Well done on your fish from the Nairn. I was out with my son on Saturday on the Dee. No salmon but I did get a finnock, 2 seatrout and three brownies. Off out again for my last attempt on the Dee this season on Thursday, hopefully get the right species this time. Eddie

James Laraway

« Reply #29 on: 06/10/2020 at 11:46 »
Good luck on Thursday Eddie. I had given up on salmon for the last 2 seasons but I'm thinking I might be back in the saddle again next year on the Nairn. Sadly the season finishes earlier up here than 'back in the shire'

James,

Well done on your fish from the Nairn. I was out with my son on Saturday on the Dee. No salmon but I did get a finnock, 2 seatrout and three brownies. Off out again for my last attempt on the Dee this season on Thursday, hopefully get the right species this time. Eddie

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com