Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Highland Lochs 2020
« on: 04/06/2020 at 11:25 »
I'll use this thread to provide updates as to what is going on in the Highlands Lochs during 2020. If you want to post about your own highland fishing this year please post away  :z16

So far I've been out twice since lock-down finished - and it's now 2-0 to the trout

1st trip out i had problems hooking up as i missed about 6 takes in a row ( i suspect that using size 8 hooks on a #4 glass rod did not help). When I finally made contact my leader broke due to the severity of the take

So 2nd trip ( last night) I down sized my fly and a fish hit so hard my leader snapped....

Time to move to 8lb leader ( from 6) on that loch....
What a start to this years fishing...

Mike Barrio

Re: Highland Lochs 2020
« Reply #1 on: 04/06/2020 at 14:58 »
Great stuff, will be interesting to read how you get on  :z16

Cheers
Mike

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 04/06/2020 at 16:05 »
I wonder when us southerners will be welcomed back? Missed one trip already and 3 more planned. I stay in a private Bothy away from the public.

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 08/06/2020 at 09:47 »
a change of venue yestarday afternoon and had a great time.

Rather than fish one of the wild fish venues i fished my syndicate loch from the tube. Tried my #4 with SS line for the first time afloat and what a revelation. Fished with a couple of DCD hoppers.

5 mins in and i get a huge hit and a big 'bo ( probably 8-10lbs) which absolutely sears off. My wee rod hooped over to the but and my air one screaming and i almost went to the backing 3 or 4 times.  Never hooked a big fish on a click and pawl reel - what a laugh. It eventually came off but i was smiling ear to ear.

After a while i switch to my #6 ( which feels soooo heavy now) and an intermediate SLX. I miss quite a few then hit a monster. Got it to the net and then try and lift it aboard. Too heavy ! So i had to use both hands once putting my rod down.  Id conservatively say 15 +.

I then get this beauty. My first brown from the loch. I know it wasn't born wild but hey. ( you can see the scale on the size scale markers below the net so it was 50+ cms)

Then got a small pike and finished off with a 'bo of say 7lbs on the dry fly on my #4 glass rod.

Lovely day.

I still prefer 100 % wild but fishing a stocked natural loch does have it upsides !

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 08/06/2020 at 12:43 »
Looks like a great day James. Well done.

Eddie

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 10/06/2020 at 09:01 »
Great stuff,

You will be another glasshole soon enough.
Lovely looking fish too :z16

Sandy

James Laraway

« Reply #6 on: 13/06/2020 at 16:29 »
so went out after the pike today on my syndicate loch. Fishing my #10 loop opti salt and 28g Barrio predator line ( amazing line and really punches flies out !)

was trying 'game changer' flies for the first time - and they are very effective. Got about 8 small pike this morning - nothing big unfortunately.  ( excuse how the flies look - they are still wet after getting a good mauling !)

the first game changer i tried i missed a few fish so figured they were coming short so switched to the 2 flies above as they had 'stingers' on the tail.

The i started hooking up  - including this nice 'surprise'

the fly you can see the head off is the grey one in the picture.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 13/06/2020 at 17:01 »
Awesome stuff James

Is that Blane Chocklett style game changer? Articulated  shanks.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 13/06/2020 at 17:21 »
Great stuff James :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 13/06/2020 at 17:38 »
Awesome stuff James

Is that Blane Chocklett style game changer? Articulated  shanks.

Indeed. Size 4 hook on back, 3x25mm shanks and a 3/0 up front. Body is a mix of schlappen and flash hackle

James Laraway

« Reply #10 on: 19/06/2020 at 16:55 »
grabbed a few hours last night to swing a fly for the pike, but the wind really seemed to have put fish off the take.

Got a couple of jacks and then decided to have a bash for the trout which quickly came to the rescue. Quick catch and release video below ( hopefully the link works!)

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #11 on: 19/06/2020 at 18:39 »
Nice Rainbow James,

:z16

Eddie

James Laraway

« Reply #12 on: 29/06/2020 at 13:22 »
thought i would brave the weather yestarday afternoon and would pop out to see if i could get a pike.

As its been warm lately i opted for a fast sinking line and a flashabou fly on my lighter pike rod ( #9 B&W powelite).

Within 5 mins I was menaced by a big rainbow which fought really dirty - made 2 searing runs towards me in the tube then threw the hook.

Then got a wee pike of about 2 or 3 lbs.

Headed off up to a big reed bed , tucked myself in tight and fished out into open water. Got a solid take then a few really powerful runs with the fish keeping deep. Good pike thinks me.....

wrong. However at 16lbs it's my biggest rainbow yet so cant complain....( could have sworn it was going to go 20 but the scales said otherwise!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edufilter=NULL&feature=youtu.be&v=uXMVx7_GR6Y&app=desktop#menu

James Laraway

« Reply #13 on: 07/07/2020 at 19:23 »
went out after the wildies today on the float tube. Had an amazing day.

Lost a smallish fish first off.

The hooked a really nice one. Got the net onto my knees, the fish made a run, i changed direction then when i went for the net to land it....gone....aaaaaaaarh.....id 'kneed' if off my lap and into the water without noticing

Landed the fish - about 3 lbs by hand. When trying to take a photo it flipped and i almost lost my phone too. Lesson learned.

As no fish were moving i was fishing a fast sinker with one of my 'wee streamers'. Got another decent fish of about 2 lbs and moved a HUGE one....but it missed. The tactic was cast towards the bank and strip back.

Then i saw one rising so picked up my #4 glass rod ( with Barrio SS ) and put on a couple of small flies....3rd cast....

more cussing about loosing my net but got the old warrior safe on the bank. What a beast...

It has taken a size 14 cdc hopper, just subsurface

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 07/07/2020 at 20:17 »
Certainly sounds like a cracking day James :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com