Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum
 

Today's Featured Forum Photo

Which lines for my 7'6" (#4-5) and 8'6" (#6-7) rods?

Started by Gerrit Moelich, 02/02/2019 at 10:36

Gerrit Moelich

Hi guys

I recently moved from South Africa to Ireland, and would like to take up fly fishing again after a long absence. I can be considered somewhere between a novice and intermediate. My casting is decent but not great. I will be fishing in dams, rivers and estuaries. I understand this is a very wide variety of waters, but hopefully it will give you an idea of what my needs are.

I'm considering  Barrio lines for my two fly rods. I have a 7'6" for a #4-5 line, and the other is an 8'6" for a #6-7 line.

Which lines would you suggest for these rods? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Mike Barrio

Hi Gerrit ..... welcome to the forum :z16

What sort of flies are you likely to be fishing on the #6/7 rod?

Best wishes
Mike

Gerrit Moelich

Hi Mike

On the #6/7 rod, I'll most likely use streamers and larger nymphs.
On the lighter rod, dry flies and small nymphs.
Does it make sense to do it this way?

Mike Barrio

Hi Gerrit

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, that makes sense. I think my choice would be a GT90 WF5F line on the lighter rod ( or a Mallard WF5F ) and an SLX WF7F line on the #6/7 rod.

I hope that helps.
Best wishes
Mike

Gerrit Moelich

Thanks Mike, I'll look into those two options.
Which length and weight tapered leaders and tippets would you recommend with these lines?

Mike Barrio

These things should start with the fly Gerrit,

But from what you describe, I think I would choose a 7ft Light leader and 6X tippet for the lighter rod and a 5ft Medium leader and maybe 3X tippet for the heavier one.

Best wishes
Mike

Gerrit Moelich

Thanks Mike, I'm a bit rusty on fly tackle, and appreciate the guidance for a basic versatile rig. Once I'm actually out fishing and knowing which flies I'll use most for these waters, I'll change leaders and tippets as I gain more experience.

Mike Barrio

You're welcome ..... don't hesitate to ask if you think I ( or the forum community ) can help :z16

I hope you enjoy a great season!

Best wishes
Mike

Gerrit Moelich

Thank you, I will ask more questions I'm sure  :cool:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com