Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steve Carter

Mallard Vs SLX #6.... to suit Sage XP #6
« on: 30/03/2018 at 07:39 »
I'd like a Barrio for my Sage XP 6wt 9ft.
I don't roll/switch/spey cast, just simple overhead.
I don't generally aerialise a lot of line, just a couple of false casts beyond the head, then fire it out.
I fish a small lake.

I appreciate this is down to my own preference in the end but would like some advice regarding the mallard and SLX lines, as I can't afford to buy both to try.

If you compare the first 33ft of both lines, which one is heavier?
Is the running line on the SLX thinner than the Mallard?
Which line might be best and why?

Thanks
Steve

Mike Barrio

Re: Mallard Vs SLX #6.... to suit Sage XP #6
« Reply #1 on: 30/03/2018 at 08:11 »
Good morning Steve,

The mass within the head of the SLX is a bit more rear biased, so closer to your rod tip, which will suit what you describe with your Sage XP. The line is slightly heavier than a Mallard at 33 ft and the running line is slightly thinner on the SLX.

Both lines will serve you well, but the SLX suits 'a couple of false casts and fire' and the XP rod better in my experience.

Best wishes
Mike

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 30/03/2018 at 09:37 »
Steve. I read your query with interest because I recently bought an SLX #6.  Been using Mallards for 4 or 5 years and been very happy with them, so why did I get an SLX?  Well, curiosity really and  I just like trying different things.  It is indeed an easy line to use and loads the rod quicker than the mallard.  For me the Mallard is sweeter at distance but for the normal bank fishing range of  around 20 yards the SLX can do a bit more.  It loads up better in strong side winds where false casts are difficult to control. I also found that the SLX will cope with gold heads on a longer leader. I am just an amateur but turning over a gold head on a 15' leader with a dropper at 7' was easy.  Still have a bit to learn about this line . Wish I had tried on years ago.

Steve Carter

« Reply #3 on: 30/03/2018 at 16:55 »
Thanks for the advice Mike/Terry, I have ordered an SLX.
Looking forward to trying it on the XP.
Cheers
Steve

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 03/04/2018 at 08:30 »
Thanks for the advice Mike/Terry, I have ordered an SLX.
Looking forward to trying it on the XP.
Cheers
Steve

I have a 3 weight XP but actually use a 4 weight SLX on it. I wanted to over line the rod slightly to give more feel on short casts. Seems to work really well. It will actually fire it a long way if I want it too.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com