Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Billy Williams

Barrio ISS Spey Line 9/10F
« on: 07/03/2018 at 15:24 »
Hi, this is my 1st post on here, have been lurking in the wings, now joined up. My name is Billy and I am a full time ghillie on a prime Tweed beat (don't ask which one, as I wont say). I took the plunge and purchased a Barrio ISS Spey Line 9/10 f and managed to try it out today as the river is flooded and unfishable. Tried it on my go to rod a Hardy Sintrix 14ft 6, 9 weight with a 10ft airflow inty tip. Once I found the sweet spot on the line I was casting effortlessy, what a lovely line on this rod. In hindsight I should maybe have went for the 10/11 weight, as Hardy rods  usually work better with a line size above there recommendation .It amazes me how Hardy can make such a lovely rod but not a line to match it, well there loss is others gain.
Next I tried it on a Guideline Exceed 13ft 7, 9/10 weight, nearly a foot shorter, but this little rod cast the line again, effortlessy. I am by no means a pro caster, id say average, and I have cast many different rods with almost nearly every line on the market, and to be honest the ISS beats them all hands down. As others have said the colour change can be a bit difficult to see especially in low light, but that's what marker pens are for, and I would not let that put you of buying one.
My conclusion is this is a perfect all round line that every serious salmon angler should have in his armoury, and it beats me how Mike and co. can produce such a lovely line at this price.
So if you are in the market for a new Spey line this season, buy one, you wont be disappointed!

Tight Lines and Screaming Marquises!

Hamish Young

Re: Barrio ISS Spey Line 9/10F
« Reply #1 on: 07/03/2018 at 16:43 »
Nice Billy  :z16
The ISS really is a great line and the intermediate head version (new to the market this year) is just stonking  :z16
H

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 07/03/2018 at 16:44 »
Hi Billy - Welcome to the forum :z16

Thanks for your kind comments, I am really pleased that you like your line.

Best wishes
Mike

Billy Williams

« Reply #3 on: 07/03/2018 at 19:59 »
Nice Billy  :z16
The ISS really is a great line and the intermediate head version (new to the market this year) is just stonking  :z16
H
Stop it, I can see myself breaking into my piggy bank  :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 07/03/2018 at 20:14 »
Yay  :z16

Billy Williams

« Reply #5 on: 09/03/2018 at 20:29 »
Just a update, tried it on a Vision 13ft Catapult and WHOOOAA, excellent  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 10/03/2018 at 08:07 »
Great stuff ..... I'm really pleased that you are enjoying your line Billy :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 13/03/2018 at 12:30 »
Billy,

I completely agree with your assessment of the line. Before they went into production, Ben Dixon and I put them to the test on a lower Dee beat with a variety of rods including a fifteen foot GT catapult, a fifteen foo Mackenzie DTX shooting head and a fourteen foot Mackenzie DTX. and yes you can throw these a long way and excellent value for your money into the bargain.

Eddie. :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com