Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Christian Micol

Which Fly Line for a Guideline LPXe 12' #8/9
« on: 17/09/2017 at 15:46 »
Which one of the Barrio fly lines would you recommend for a Guideline LPXe 12' #8/9, a light DH with a fast action and recommended weight of 30-33 g /465-510 grains:
- Switch 8/9 - 30.5 grams or 470 grains ?
- ISS 7/8 - 31 grams or 478 grains at 36 feet ?
- ISS 8/9 - 35 grams or 540 grains at 40 feet ?

I'm mainly fishing seatrout with 8' Super Fast Sinking or Extra Super Fast Sinking Polyleaders (5 grams),  a  60 to 90 cm 28/100 fluorocarbon leader and snakeflies or light tubeflies.

Mike Barrio

Re: Which Fly Line for a Guideline LPXe 12' #8/9
« Reply #1 on: 17/09/2017 at 20:55 »
Hi Christian,

Thanks for your message. From what you describe, my choice would be the ISS Spey 8/9.

Best wishes
Mike

Christian Micol

« Reply #2 on: 16/04/2018 at 13:01 »
I received the ISS Spey 8/9 -IH last week and I made very successfull tests yesterday.
As I'm fishing very often in dark environment it's difficult to visualize the loading point, therefore I would like  to paint some black marking using permanent marker pens.
Is it safe for the Fly Line coating to implement permanent marker pens ?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 16/04/2018 at 13:23 »
Hi Christian,

I'm really pleased that you like your line :z12 ....... yes, permanent marker pens are fine.

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 17/04/2018 at 08:21 »
As I'm fishing very often in dark environment it's difficult to visualize the loading point, therefore I would like  to paint some black marking using permanent marker pens.
Is it safe for the Fly Line coating to implement permanent marker pens ?

May I offer another alternative?

A fishing company called Gardner offer a glow in the dark line marker paint that you paint onto the line. With a short charge from a UV or normal torch, you get about 4 hours glow.

It is semi permanent and flexible, so you can remove it with your nail if you want to.

It is specifically designed for line (mono and fluorocarbon), so it does not contain any solvents etc which will damage the lines surface, and it goes on a flyline nicely. Just use 3-4 thin coats and build a nice layer.

The 2G plus glows more than the 2G.

My suggestion would be to mark the line just above where you would hold the line on a cast, so you can see it just above your hand, making it nice and easy to gauge where the head of the line is.

I have used this on shooting heads and marked the join, but really, having it closer to your upper hand on a spey line would make much more sense to me.

http://gardnertackle.co.uk/product/glo-pro-2g/

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 17/04/2018 at 08:28 »
Interesting ..... I wasn't aware of that product Rob.

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com