Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum
 

Today's Featured Forum Photo

Dries close to the boat

Started by Terry Coging, 11/05/2017 at 08:32

Terry Coging

Our local reservoir is a top of the water fishing mainly.  Drifting and short lining a team of 3 dries is a favoured method. I use Mallard wf #5 or #6 and like their versatility.  My boat partner uses a line a weight heavier than the rod spec for this type of fishing (#5 on a #4 Sage).
Bearing in mind that presenting a team nicely at approx 10 yards is the requirement, which line and weight would you guys recommend?

Rob Brownfield

I don't do a lot of boat fishing, but when I do I use a 10 foot #4 rod with a GT90 #5 line and fish, as you do, around 10-15 yards from the boat as it drifts.

I like the GT line because everything is nicely tapered and there is no need to "get the head" out the tip ring etc. it just casts lovely and loads the rod well.

It also allows a roll cast if the wind is being a bit tricky.

I also use this set up in a tube as well.

Other may have a different opinion though :)

Mike Barrio

Hi Terry / Rob

My choice would be a Mallard WF or a GT90 too ..... and I'd usually go for the GT90 :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com