Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Chiz

Spec Me a Rod
« on: 19/05/2010 at 11:05 »
Hello,

I'm looking into purchasing a Rod. I'm a beginner (Only been fly fishing twice) so i'm looking for something relatively cheap, as i have no issues buying something more expensive once i gain experience and understand the basic principles and techniques.

I've been looking at the Flextec CRX88 - It's cheap and it has favourable reviews. I'm unsure if external hyperlinking is allowed, but reviews can be found online.

I think i require a 9ft 6/7 but please advise me if this is suitable or not?

I'm currently fishing for Rainbow and Brown Trout.

Any tips are more than welcome!  :z16

Chiz.

Rob Brownfield

Re: Spec Me a Rod
« Reply #1 on: 19/05/2010 at 13:10 »
Greys GRXi+  ...9 foot for a 6. Will cover everything you could want it too :)

Fulling Mill Gold Label 9 foot for a 6. Really easy casting rod...

Although others rate the Flextec, I don't ;)

Truth of the matter is you should alsways try a rod before buying (says me buying a £500 rod off of Hamish without trying it!..lol). Different people will rate rods differently due to there casting etc so its always best to try one out first if you can.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 19/05/2010 at 15:32 »
Hi Chiz,

I have not liked the Flextec rods I have tried although they do have a good following, I would try to cast one first. 

Robs suggestion of a 9' rod rated for a #6 line is about right and ideal as an all round or first rod.  A #6 line will cast all but the largest trout flies but is not too heavy for more deicate work.

Come to the River Don Open Day at Castle Forbes Estate on Sunday 30th May, there will be various tackle maunfacturers and shops there on the day and you will be able to try a range of rods before you buy.

Cheers

Ben

Chiz

« Reply #3 on: 19/05/2010 at 18:57 »
Thanks for the replies guys! Much appreciated.

Unfortunately i feel the Greys GRXi+ is out of my budget. I'd preferably like to spend no more than £60 on a rod to begin with, if this is indeed possible.

As for a 9 foot rod for a #6 line - Can someone tell me what the 6 is a measure from? is it weight? size?

BEN_D - Thanks for that. I wasn't aware of the Open Day, but i'll definitely put it into my calendar!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 19/05/2010 at 19:40 »
Chiz

The 6# refers to the weight of the fisrt 10 yards of fly line. The rod is made to suit a 6# line

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/expertise/knowledge/lineratings.htm

:z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 20/05/2010 at 02:31 »
There may be something of interest on here if you want something cheap :z16

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/feature-clearance.html

Go to the fly rod PDF and there is a really good deal on an Orvis Streamlite outfit, 5wt only, but will do everything you want it too. The 5 should be as useful as the 6 for browns and 'bows

Sandy

Chiz

« Reply #6 on: 20/05/2010 at 09:39 »
Cheers Sandy. I'm checking that out as we speak.

Luckily enough i came into some money yesterday (Thanks you Belgium, Rotherham and Seville!!) so i think i might be able to go and get that Grey's rod :)

With a #5 rod, what would i be sacrificing over getting a #6/7? is it in theory a weaker rod and more designed for the smaller fish? I understand the line is lighter, so in theory i'm guessing it would be weaker? Sorry for all these intricate questions but i'm inquisitive and trying to learn all i can! :)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 20/05/2010 at 10:31 »
Ray,
Have to agree on customer care..but not had any problems with the Greys rods I have (all be it for coarse fishing).

As for Tacklebargins..I keep forgetting about them! The Lefty Kreh rods are good and are the same blanks as used by Fulling Mill.

Chiz

« Reply #8 on: 20/05/2010 at 11:43 »
What do you guys think of the  Shakespeare Odyssey Fly Rod. I've seen this in my local tackle shop for £24.99?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 20/05/2010 at 11:57 »
What do you guys think of the  Shakespeare Odyssey Fly Rod. I've seen this in my local tackle shop for £24.99?

These are excellent rods for somebody starting out in fly fishing and they offer very good value for your money!

Yes, a good choice :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 20/05/2010 at 11:58 »
Shakespeare always gets a bit of a hard time as they are often seen as cheap and cheerful. Fact is, they have some impressive consultants and produce pretty dependable gear. Ok, it may not be the fanciest, lightest, longest casting, but it is functional, well put together and cheap.

The Odyssey looks ok, not cast with one, but I have cast with the next rod up, the Trion..about £50 online. I was looking at buying my partner one as she only sometimes comes fishing with me so I did not want to waste vast amounts of cash.

I would happily use a Trion, it was rather sweet. Fast(ish) action, really easy to cast and nice fittings.

http://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/RODS/ss497game.htm

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 20/05/2010 at 13:27 »
I'd happily recommend or even fish with a Shakespeare Odyssey.  Cast a few of the 5wt rods and they have been very good for the money.

Cheers

Ben

Chiz

« Reply #12 on: 20/05/2010 at 14:03 »
Excellent, I think we're all agreed that this is a decent, cheap rod.

So far i've priced up:

DescriptionValueShakespeare Odyssey Fly Rod26.99Greys G-Series Reel29.99Greys GRXi Clear Intermediate Line24.99Daiwa Wilderness game bag 422.99Total104.96

I believe the above should all be ok. Should manage to get this all today and hopefully be fishing with all my own kit this weekend  :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 20/05/2010 at 14:20 »
Chiz,

Get a floating line not an intermediate!!

Cheers

Ben

Chiz

« Reply #14 on: 20/05/2010 at 14:23 »
I was told since i was a beginner i should use an intermediate line as it's easier to cast with?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com