Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Dark coloured floating lines
« on: 12/03/2010 at 15:34 »
Hi,
      Just wondering if anyone can think how it would be advantageous to have a dark floating line ?

Paul.

:wink

Barry Robertson

Re: Dark coloured floating lines
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/2010 at 15:45 »
I have a black floater with a hot orange 7" tip , good wee buzzer line and great for seeing takes!
I cant see the advantages of having a full black line though  :z8

« Reply #2 on: 12/03/2010 at 19:45 »
I used a dark olive floating line for a season or so, can't think of a situation in which it provided an advantage.  However there were several where it was a pain in the arse, most of which have been covered in other threads recently.  Sorry this doesn't really answer your question

Robbie

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 13/03/2010 at 09:21 »
No, not really. Had a dark-ish floating line for a bit but can't see any advantage in them other than the confidence they seem to inspire in some anglers, particularly on rivers.......  :z8

H

Irvine Ross

« Reply #4 on: 13/03/2010 at 11:24 »
From what I gather from postings on another forum, dark coloured lines are supposed to be almost invisible to the fish while they are in the air because they blend in with the background colours of the trees or grass on the bank. People seem have that opinion because they are more difficult for the angler to see. But of course the fish is looking up from a different position so they probably see it differently.  :z8

I guess if you are fishing very clear water (chalk streams or  NZ)  and can see the fish then you don't have to see the end of your line to tell if a fish has taken your nymph so the dark colour would not be a handicap to the angler. Anyway I'm not planning to buy one.

Irvine

Paul Rankine

« Reply #5 on: 15/03/2010 at 17:16 »
Hi,
     Thanks for the replies Guys. I,m having difficulty with my question too  :wink
Paul.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 15/03/2010 at 23:38 »
Hi Paul,

I hate them, don't tlike anything too bright unless I am specifically setting out to fish subsurface, this case it is orange.  Can't think of any situation where I would want a dark coloured floater that I could not see.  Cream, white pale yellow, SA green, pale blue etc, all fine.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 15/03/2010 at 23:59 »
Excellent stuff ...... it is amazing how things swing round, it is not so long ago that I changed my Mallard DT fly lines from their pale cream colour to the current olive colour, as customer feedback kept suggesting :roll

This thread is interesting, as the last three months of ice have given me time to concentrate on a few projects that I was working on last year and these are almost ready for the manufacturing stage .................... :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Paul Rankine

« Reply #8 on: 16/03/2010 at 22:06 »
Hi,
      Thanks Ben,it's not just me then !

Mike,

and these are almost ready for the manufacturing stage ....................

Mmmmm.... intriguing !

:z4

Paul.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 22/03/2010 at 00:17 »
Hi folks

My olive coloured Mallard DT fly lines have a strong following, but there are obviously a good number of you that would prefer a more visible colour :roll ....... Would you like me to consider the possibility of also stocking the original pale cream version of my DT line as an additional option?

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #10 on: 22/03/2010 at 06:59 »
Would you like me to consider the possibility of also stocking the original pale cream version of my DT line as an additional option?
Mike

Yes, please. that would be a good option, if available.

I switched to the Barrio  WF lines in cream, because I just cannot get on with the darker olive DT lines (had spoken with you in person about this too)

cheers
iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #11 on: 23/03/2010 at 20:47 »
Hi Mike,
              I agree , that would be an excellent option.
Paul.

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #12 on: 24/03/2010 at 12:20 »
I have just bought an olive one but given the option i would have chosen the pale colour. If you were to have this option i would buy one and carry both!  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 03/06/2010 at 00:03 »
Hi guys :cool:

"Goolager's" comment in a River Don thread tonight has reminded me about this topic :z17

So to update you ..... I have ordered pale cream Mallard DT fly lines for stock and these should arrive in a few weeks time :wink

Now for the big question ...... Do I really need to continue to offer the olive ones? :roll

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 03/06/2010 at 00:12 »
Hi Mike,

Yeah, each to their own but honestly I couldn't see the line so trying to keep in touch with let alone 'lead' the flies was impossible also I was lifting off to recast with no idea where the flies were.

I've ordered an Airflo (I know you don't do 2 wt's) ridge technical but it only comes in 2 tone peach which is maybe going to be funky but I could have done with it tonight.

Iain   

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com