Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Floating line no likey
« on: 08/03/2010 at 20:18 »
Perusing the usual leaflets dropping through the door and trawling the SALE sections I came across an offer from Fishtec - Wulff TT lines in 3 & 4 wts @ £19.99 so taking a knife from the kitchen drawer I headed for the loons bankie,
any roads up I bought a dark green line in a 3wt, lovely one thinks, tactical and SWAT - then I goes fishing with it, nightmare! can't see the flipping stuff when it's coiled on the ground standing on it right left and centre. should be ok on the river but won't see a still water again.

Just an observation.

White, Lemon, Cream type colours for me in floaters.

Iain

Irvine Ross

Re: Floating line no likey
« Reply #1 on: 08/03/2010 at 20:26 »
Ian

Had the same problem with the Barrio Outcast yesterday. Couldn't see it on the snow :grin

Irvine

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 08/03/2010 at 20:29 »
Do you watch many dating shows Iain?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 08/03/2010 at 21:03 »
Had the same problem with the Barrio Outcast yesterday. Couldn't see it on the snow
:z4 :z16

Do you watch many dating shows Iain?

Only on Channel 'Muscleboy' what about you?  :z7 :z4

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 08/03/2010 at 21:13 »
Re: "Floating line no likey"

Christ, you had me going there for a moment, I thought I was on the wrong forum :z4  :z4  :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 08/03/2010 at 21:14 »
Fly line colour is always tricky to choose, the colour can boost or lower an angler's confidence considerably and the choice is very much a personal one :wink

Some fishers like bright colours, so they can watch the line like a hawk for the slightest twitch or movement, others like camo/clear type colours that they feel will blend in and not startle the fish, but these are obviously more tricky to see on the water.

Yes, use whichever gives you the most confidence for whatever reasons :wink

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 08/03/2010 at 21:51 »
Only on Channel 'Muscleboy' what about you?  :z7 :z4

Only if they feature Patrick McGuinness!  No Likey no lighty! :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 08/03/2010 at 22:12 »
Ah! the penny dropeth.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 08/03/2010 at 23:40 »
Subtle is O.K but dark colours suck for floating lines for anything other than dry fly work, river or stillwater.  There is the argument that a line that blends in with the background whilst casting is less likely to be seen by fish, I can buy this to some extent but the TT in Olive is of no use to me for anything other than dry work.  Same story Iain, I had one, probably still do somewhere but it was only used once!!

When fishing subsurface on stillwaters and I am serious about catching fish, I will use a bright orange line, usually a TT.  On rivers I like something either white or pale yellow but will use an orange TT if I am mainly fishing subsurface at close range.

Cheers

Ben

Graeme Gauld

« Reply #9 on: 09/03/2010 at 09:24 »
When fishing subsurface on stillwaters and I am serious about catching fish, I will use a bright orange line  why ?? could you please explain when i fish still waters either for rainbows or wild brown trout i use either a cream or white line

cheers

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 09/03/2010 at 12:06 »
When fishing subsurface on stillwaters and I am serious about catching fish, I will use a bright orange line  why ?? could you please explain when i fish still waters either for rainbows or wild brown trout i use either a cream or white line

cheers

Because in some lights I find a cream or white line difficult to see, rarely have I found myself in a situation where I cannot clearly see the end of a bright orange line.  The subtlest of movements can signify a take so I want a line that I can see as clearly as possible in all conditions.

Cheers

Ben

Graeme Gauld

« Reply #11 on: 09/03/2010 at 12:15 »
thanks for the reply Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com