Black & Green Biot Buzzer
Materials;
Thread:       Black 8/0, Orvis
Hook:       Kamasan B110 Size 12
Head:      Black Plastic Bead,  John Lewis
Rib:      Mirage Tinsel Small
Cheeks:      Chartreuse Electric Biots, Artifly
Varnish:                S.H.  Hard as Nails

This buzzer has been a firm favourite of mine for as long as I can remember. It has also been used to good effect this Winter, fished under an indicator FLY in extreme conditions when much larger flies may have been seen as more likely to produce.

1)   Slide bead onto hook and secure in vise. Lay on thread and apply a decent taper behind the bead to secure, cut off tag.

2)   Tie in Mirage Tinsel and run it to the desired point on the bend using close wraps.

3)   Run the tying thread back up to the thorax area using either close wraps OR open wraps (wide enough for the tinsel to lie in the’ trough’ – this gives a slightly slimmer body )

4)   Wind the tinsel up the body in open wraps to give the desired segmentation.   Tie off and snip tinsel tag.

5)   Select two biots of required width. Offer each biot up to the thorax where it’s to be tied in and trim the widest end of the biot at an angle, this should match the angle of the bead.  Note that the natural curvature of the biot when folded should marry up with the contour of the thorax. Tie in one biot, rotate the vise & then tie in the other

6)   Run the thread down the thorax area securing the biots further. Regularly folding the nearest biot over when running the thread down the shank will give you an indication of when the thorax ‘start point’  is reached

7)   Build up a suitable sized & shaped thorax – rugby ball is nice. No need be too precious with the smooth shape of the thorax as the varnish will hide all ills. Fold over the biots and secure at the head behind the bead. Trim the tags as close as possible

8)   Bind down any remaining biot tags & whip finish.

9)   Apply as many coats of ‘Hard as Nails’ as you see fit – 1 or 2 suits me.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com