Klink 4 Dink
Hook:       Kamasan B100 Size 16
Thread:      Orvis  12/0 Black
Wing Post:   Yellow, Pink  & Grey Aero
Hackle:      Hareline Grizzly Brown Genetic
Thorax:    Peacock Herl
Body:      Black Fly –Rite Poly Dubbing
Rib:      Fine Holographic Tinsel

1.   Place hook in vise and lay on 6 or so turns of thread where the wing will sit. Trim Tag of thread.

2.   Select a suitable amount of colour/s required for wing material – here I’ve used Yellow, Grey & Pink. Use both hands to hold the wing fibres at either end and offer it up to the hanging tying thread.  Catch the tying thread at the middle of the wing fibres and continue to pull the fibres up around the back of & then onto the top of the hook.

3.   Secure the wing material to the top of the hook using alternate cross securing wraps. A horizontal binding wrap can be used to keep the wing fibres tighter together.

4.   Select a suitable hackle feather and strip away a section of fibres. Note that the hackle should be oriented so as to eventually wind down the wing post with the fibres arcing upwards (concave appearance). Use 2 turns to secure stem in front of wing. Use 1 turn to secure stem behind wing. Lift hackle upright and lay alongside wing material , lay 1 wrap behind bent hackle stem to form a ‘stop’ and then begin to wrap the thread up the wing and hackle to form a wing post.

5.   Trim Hackle stem from front of eye. Tie in the rib of Holographic tinsel behind the wing and use touching wraps to bring it to the point where you want to start the body around the bend of the hook.

6.   Dub on a small amount of Black Poly Rite Dubbing and wind all the way back to the thorax area. Tie off Dubbing material and wind the rib in suitable turns up to the thorax. Tie off and trim. Note that the camera flash has given the effect of a poorly wound rib but as you will see later it is in fact a trick of the light.

7.   Select suitable number of Peacock Herl fibres (I’m using one due to the size of the hook and I will strengthen this with a drop of Fly-Tite cement prior to winding it on). Trim excess.

8.   Reposition the hook in the vise so that the wing is sitting horizontally, this will make both winding and tying off the hackle easier. I have opted to secure the tying thread with one whip but I could have easily prevented it from unravelling during this process by winding it up and behind the post.

9.   Wind the hackle in close turns down the wing post with as many turns as you see fit, I like 5-6 turns regardless of fly size. Note that the wing material has the job of keeping the fly afloat not the amount of hackle which as previously stated is supposed to lie in a concave manner.

10.   Tie off the hackle around the base of the post and trim waste. Twist wing material and trim to length. Add a drop of Fly-Tite at the base of the post for an absolutely indestructible fly. Tidy up any stray hackle fibres and prepare to rise Trout

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com