Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Duncan McRae

Bruce and Walker
« on: 09/02/2010 at 12:45 »
Hi Folks

I'm looking to buy a new sea trout rod this year.
I've had my present rod for 22 years,an 11ft Bruce and Walker(make unknown) which still works fine,but i guess at that age could go bang at any time!
Given the length of service and performance of this rod i am tempted to purchase one of the Bruce and Walker Powerlite range.Maybe the 10'6" wt8.
My only concern is that Bruce and Walker seem to be very quiet these days with none of the catalogues displaying their products.Are they on the decline?
I would welcome any comments that anyone might have on the performance and quality of the Powerlite trout range of rods.

Duncan

Rob Brownfield

Re: Bruce and Walker
« Reply #1 on: 09/02/2010 at 13:24 »
B&W seem to have taken a strange tact when it comes to sales. Give them a call and they will bend over backwards to produce a rod for you, offering not only a bespoke rod building service on existing blanks, but also a bespoke blank making service too.

Around 2 years ago I got a couple of very special carp rod blanks sent to me for a customer. They were there original "Green" boron blanks that when first made, were streets ahead of the opposition. Even today they are superb.

The technology may not be up to date, but you get a "solid" rod for your money.

Have a look at there website..see whats on offer... :)

Andy Wren

« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2010 at 11:39 »
Hi Folks

I'm looking to buy a new sea trout rod this year.
I've had my present rod for 22 years,an 11ft Bruce and Walker(make unknown) which still works fine,but i guess at that age could go bang at any time!
Given the length of service and performance of this rod i am tempted to purchase one of the Bruce and Walker Powerlite range.Maybe the 10'6" wt8.
My only concern is that Bruce and Walker seem to be very quiet these days with none of the catalogues displaying their products.Are they on the decline?
I would welcome any comments that anyone might have on the performance and quality of the Powerlite trout range of rods.

Not been to B&W since this time last year , but have visited on and of since the 90s , they seem busy ,think they dont need to advertise very much ,
great service from them , they will repair ancient carbon rod ,like the century I sat on whilst fishing Grafham this spring ,so if you want to stay fishing with what you have ,not a problem .
you will find the modern ones are crisper in action !

Paul Rankine

« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2010 at 18:49 »
Hi,
      I have a 10 1/2 ft #7wt Powerlite which I use for sea trout and summer salmon . Whilst not the lightest rod I,ve ever used it is superbly made with a nice through action , totally unlike the fast tippy stuff we see a lot of nowadays .

Paul.

CGFS

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2010 at 19:19 »
i have been using  the B&W 10.5ft  powerlight#wt8 for years fantastic rod would not part with it landed 2 double figure salmon last year sometimes use it at the rainbows  atb

Duncan McRae

« Reply #5 on: 15/02/2010 at 16:24 »
Thanks for the info. lads.I've decided to go for the Powerlite.

Hi,
      I have a 10 1/2 ft #7wt Powerlite which I use for sea trout and summer salmon . Whilst not the lightest rod I,ve ever used it is superbly made with a nice through action , totally unlike the fast tippy stuff we see a lot of nowadays .

Paul.

This sounds exactly like the type of rod i'm looking for.
For many years now i've used a 15ft Powerlite for my Salmon fishing and it has really suited me very well.
I'm hoping the trout version does likewise.

Duncan

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 16/02/2010 at 13:08 »
Hi Duncan,
                  Try before you buy if at all possible. One man's meat and all that .
Paul.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #7 on: 16/02/2010 at 15:45 »
Hi Paul

Yes,you are quite right.

Mortimers have some rods in stock.
Now,if i can just convince the wife that Grantowns a nice place for a day trip! :wink

Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com