Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

keeper rings - pointless or is it just me?
« on: 19/01/2010 at 19:59 »
I think the last time I retained a fly on the keeper ring of a rod was about 30 years ago when I fished with approx 5' leaders (I didn't know any different  :z8).

Do they serve any purpose?

Iain

FYI - I don't like any leader material to be inboard of the tip ring when walking about and 'generally' use leaders of 1.25 - 1.75 x the rod length. so I'll clip the point fly into one of the rings near the tip of the rod, run the leader down and around the reel and it should leave a short section of fly line out of the tip ring - I'm sure you get my drift.

Mike Barrio

Re: keeper rings - pointless or is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: 19/01/2010 at 20:10 »
Hi Iain :cool:

Yes, I'm totally with you on this one :z16

I have always done the same, using one of the rings further up the rod and taking the leader around my reel.

I think the only reason that we still see them on rods nowadays, is the fear that customers will stick the fly in to the cork handle instead when there isn't a keeper ...... and then claim their cork fell to bits :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 19/01/2010 at 20:17 »
is the fear that customers will stick the fly in to the cork handle

Used to do that too in my mid to late teens as it was considered cool   :z3 didn't half dig up the cork!  :z10

Iain

Irvine Ross

« Reply #3 on: 19/01/2010 at 20:50 »
I use the keeper ring.  :z16

I needle knot the tapered leader to the end of the fly line so it slips out through the tip ring no problem. Anyway you will have the leader inside the tip ring when you are netting the fish so what's the difference :z8

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 19/01/2010 at 21:12 »
Hi Irvine,

Fair enough - I don't like to have the leader at such an acute angle at any time and when netting a fish I've always got a reasonable bend radius in the rod. I think it also reduces the flexibility of where your bob fly can be situated when fishing a 3 fly cast.

Again, it's only an opinion & I've had major problems with it snagging shooting head running line - so I tape them over.

I also like the fact that I've always got a certain mount of combined line weight (flies included) outside the rod tip which, I feel, makes it easier to get straight into a cast - no placing the rod down and pulling a workable amount of line off the reel before casting can begin.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 19/01/2010 at 22:11 »
I agree, hardly ever use a keeper ring.  Use the same method as Iain usually so the fly is hooked into one of the upper snakes and there is enough line outside the tip to get the rod working.  Makes life easy if you have a lot of vegetation in front of you as you can simply hold the rod over the water and tap the blank a few times and the fly will drop straight onto the water.

Hate keeper rings on DH rods.

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 20/01/2010 at 01:24 »
Sorry Iain

I always use the keeper too. Habit, probably :z7
But i like having them :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 20/01/2010 at 01:40 »
Sorry Iain

I always use the keeper too. Habit, probably :z7
But i like having them :z16

Sandy

Yes, I remember discussing this in the hut on more than one occasion Sandy :z4

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 20/01/2010 at 03:00 »
One of the many beauties of building your own rods :z16
No rights , no wrongs. :z18
You just do it the way you like :z3

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 20/01/2010 at 08:11 »
Have to say yeah, but no, but yeah, but no but well..depends on what I am fishing with!

Big flies for Pike/Perch/In the sea I use a keeper ring as the leader is normally sub 9 foot.

If fishing for trout, I have to say I tend to hold the point fly between my fingers and leave a bow in the line, so upon arriving at the next swim, its just a case of a flick and I am fishing again.

Once more, habit!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com