Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Hook, bead, conehead, etc, boxes
« on: 07/11/2009 at 22:41 »
I've been using these boxes for a couple of years now and think they are great.

They have;
good hinges
two positive sliders for locking them closed
18 compartments, approx. 32mm x 32mm x 25mm deep - these come up flush with the lid so hooks should not cross into neighbouring compartments.
Low price  - £2.50 each from John Lewis girly sewing dept. called 'Bead Boxes'

Good deal I think

Iain

Matt Henderson

Re: Hook, bead, conehead, etc, boxes
« Reply #1 on: 07/11/2009 at 22:43 »
that looks like a great idea, just need to get mrs MDH to let me get a desk to tie flies at rather than the dining table...

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2009 at 11:14 »
I've been using these boxes for a couple of years now and think they are great.

They have;
good hinges
two positive sliders for locking them closed
18 compartments, approx. 32mm x 32mm x 25mm deep - these come up flush with the lid so hooks should not cross into neighbouring compartments.
Low price  - £2.50 each from John Lewis girly sewing dept. called 'Bead Boxes'

Good deal I think

Iain

Excellent Iain

I could be doing with about four of these if anybody is in town sometime and doesn't mind getting them for me.

I can't remember the last time I went shopping in Aberdeen ....... scary thought, becoming a hermit? :oops

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 10/11/2009 at 11:33 »
Have you tried the new arts and crafts place at that new shopping "mall"? Loads of things like this too...

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 10/11/2009 at 12:54 »
Have you tried the new arts and crafts place at that new shopping "mall"? Loads of things like this too...

I had my eyes on a the clear plastic set of drawers on wheels complete with little boxes inside.  And only about forty quid..

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 10/11/2009 at 15:19 »
Hi Mike,
Do you need them to keep your medication in ? :z4 Only joking -get well soon.

I bought 8 on Saturday (as they seem to have been out of stock for 'lots of months') so I've got 4 you can have. I've removed the cellophane wrapping but they are brand spanking.

Rob,
I've been meaning to go ever since the opening was advertised on the tranny.......I'll bet there are some real bargains.

They might even sell pike rods :roll

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 10/11/2009 at 15:28 »
Hi Mike,
Do you need them to keep your medication in ? :z4 Only joking -get well soon.

I bought 8 on Saturday (as they seem to have been out of stock for 'lots of months') so I've got 4 you can have. I've removed the cellophane wrapping but they are brand spanking.

Rob,
I've been meaning to go ever since the opening was advertised on the tranny.......I'll bet there are some real bargains.

They might even sell pike rods :roll

Iain

Thanks Iain, I don't want to hit your stock, but a couple would be very useful :z16

Thanks again
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 20/11/2009 at 20:29 »
Mike/ all,

Bead boxes are in stock in 'Hobby Craft' in Union Square mall for £1.99, YES £1.99.  Sorry mike I did sell you the others in good faith  :oops

Guys, they're an absolute steal.
I had a quick rake around the shop today but didn't stay long as I'm not too chipper at the minute. I was looking for craft fur for baitfish patterns, eyes for SWFF/ Pike flies, rattlers & a purple indelible marker............luxemburg nil pwa  :z6 but I did get some extra fine silver & gold wire at £1.45 for 24 yards. All in all it wasn't the supermarket sweep that I thought it would be.

Iain

Kev Danby

« Reply #8 on: 20/11/2009 at 22:24 »
Anyone passing through Insch should have a quick stop at Laines craft shop  :z16

beads wires pens etc etc

Cheers

Kev

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 25/11/2009 at 08:28 »
While we are at it, Megs Atic in Banchory has some interesting stuff for fly tiers, from beads and coloured ribbing wire through to "meltable" tinsel and strange liquid foam stuff you can use to build bodies.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com