Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Hopper Help!
« on: 28/08/2009 at 19:41 »
Evening all!

Just after a few pointers on how to improve my hoppers, still newish to tying so any pointers welcome.
How much of a hackle do you need as i just put more hackle on if i want it to float or stay higher in the water, i think i might be over dressing it  ???
I have done a few variants and find tying the legs in at the top best but if there is a better way to tie them in iam open to any suggestions:D
Thanks in advance

Tightlines,
Baz
 :wink

Ben Dixon

Re: Hopper Help!
« Reply #1 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:02 »
Hi Baz,

They look good to me, I would tie the non booby style one with the same amount of hackle that you have used on the booby style fly.  I usually try to tie in the legs so that they about in line with the shank but I dont think it makes that much difference, I usually clip the underside of the hackle too.

Cheers

Ben

Derek 365

« Reply #2 on: 31/08/2009 at 10:40 »
I clip the underside of the hackle like Ben as well Baz , you might want to use less hackle but pick out the dubbing more . Have you seen a 'Rutland Raider'? it's a hopper without a hackle i think but has a very picked out thorax section .

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 31/08/2009 at 12:57 »
Thanks for the advice lads, will have a look out for a rutland raider  :z18

lenap

« Reply #4 on: 30/09/2009 at 00:59 »
http://www.jackgartside.com/step_pheasant_hopper.htm ,hello i realise that this is a bit late to say the least, but this jack gartside how to  tye hoppers should be added to your fall and winter tying experiments, good luck , pete

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 02/10/2009 at 18:17 »
Never to late Pete, thanks for the link  :z18

lenap

« Reply #6 on: 03/10/2009 at 00:45 »
if you liked that link, you should go to togens fly shop, thay are in b/c canada. i buy all of my hooks from them and the prices are not to be passed up, how about  $ 6.60 us @100? if you buy 1000 hooks and split up the order with some of your mates the rate drops to $ 5.70 @100. they regularly ship international so your order would be simple. togens is worth a look and the stuff very good quality, also till the end of the month there is an additional 15% off anything in the shop. i am going over my hook stock now,as a tyer yourself you know you can never have enough stuff . good luck ,pete

lenap

« Reply #7 on: 03/10/2009 at 14:40 »
hello bigtroot, in addition to the togens fly shop as a good site, i noticed that the foam that you used on your hopper was not the right density, raineys float foam is the stuff you want http://www.rainysflies.com/index.php. i,m not sure if you have it in the uk, but its easily attainable from just about any large supplier. once you see the colors, density and pre cut shapes and sizes ,you might have to put on a druel cup to retye your hopper. let me know how you make out, by the way i just sent off a hook and leach supply order to togens, @15% off, tying zone :z18

lenap

« Reply #8 on: 03/10/2009 at 20:20 »
bigtroot, the fly shop in northern calif, is one of the very best ,and progressive fly shops anywhear.http://store.theflyshop.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=337_476. look at the selection that they have in foam. you should also be setting down to look over their fly selections. as a tyer i know that you like ideas and different views of other tying work, this site and shop is first class. enjoy it, pete :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com