Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kev Danby

11ft rods
« on: 29/06/2009 at 12:37 »
Any one had any experience with the Shakespear trion 11ft 7/8 or other 11 ft rods I tried to get a Partridge S 11ft'er but they all seem to be sold out now they are on offer.

Dont want to spend too much as it will be used on an occasional basis mainly sea trouting at night.

Chers

Kev

Rob Brownfield

Re: 11ft rods
« Reply #1 on: 29/06/2009 at 13:11 »
I have an 11 foot 3" Daiwa "Sea Trout Special" that I bought ages ago. Its rated 7/8 and I used to love it. However, I dug it out a few weeks back to go to Dunallister and I decided to have a chuck in the garden first. OMG!!!!! It felt so slow and heavy!!  :z4

That aside, I used to love it for fishing 2 flies at night as it roll cast lovely and if over head casting, allowed for a wide, gentle loop. Landed fish to 8 pound on it and thought the extra length was ideal on the smaller rivers i fished.

I also had an 11 foot  Shakespeare 5/6 weight "drifter" rod. Loved that too for dibbling flies to the boat (Leven) but again, although light back then, it would feel like a brick these days :)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 29/06/2009 at 15:36 »
Hi Kev,

Good to hear that are you getting the time to go Sea-Troutin' at night. Being lucky?

I hear Orvis are bringing out a Helios Switch Rod :z12

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 29/06/2009 at 16:13 »

I hear Orvis are bringing out a Helios Switch Rod :z12

Doesn't Ben have one?? Seem very popular for the Steelhead just now, plenty of blanks available in the US.

http://www.meiserflyrods.com/system6-8.html come in under $300 for the kit :)

Funny how the Yanks are going heavier and longer and we are going shorter and lighter..complete U-turn on both sides of the pond :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 29/06/2009 at 20:01 »
Hi Kev,

Orvis do a western 11 foot 7wt which is very nice.  Drop Magnus a PM, he has played with it and will give you an objective view of it.

Cheers

Ben

Kev Danby

« Reply #5 on: 29/06/2009 at 22:15 »
Hi all. Yes I have been a sea trouting on the spey lost one and had a few nips and tugs. I've been using a whisker #7 with an barrio 8wf which is fine for shortish casts but struggling to throw a longer line (probably my casting). Being kak handed the beat I fish is better suited to a right hander I tend to cast over my right shoulder and I think the extra length might help.

I'll take a look at the western 3 I hear a shop in Bachory has em half price to forum members :z4

Tight lines to all will hopefully have a go for them on the Don in July.

Mike did I leave my hat at Haddo??

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 29/06/2009 at 22:18 »
Hi Kev

No, can't remember finding a hat I'm afraid.

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com