Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

slippy

Confused over winging materials
« on: 04/05/2009 at 17:44 »

Hi all. I'm confused over the amount of different winging stuff around, ie, poly yarn and antron. Are these variations on the same stuff? or is one better?. I see dressings for flies, the shipmans for instance where one says antron breathers and another says poly yarn, same with wingposts for paras etc. Also read on another forum that ginking cdc is a major no-no, is this true?. I have used gink on cdc balloon wings with no problem.
advice needed and appreciated.
                      regards and  :z18 derek.

Mike Livingstone

Re: Confused over winging materials
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/2009 at 18:41 »
Derek,

For wing material just go with what you have or what you can get. 

Antron tends to reflect light pretty effectively and some people like that effect.  Poly yarn on the other hand tends to have beeter floating properties hence its use in making anchor ropes.  I like poly yarn from Niche products for the wings on my parachutes and other flies but if all I have is antron I use that or whatever I have at hand.  Don't stick rigidly to patterns as it can drive you crazy finding some weird material when something fairly common will do!

As for Gink on CDC, if it works keep going.  There are too many things said in magazines or books that people blindly follow without some experimenting.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 05/05/2009 at 09:35 »
TMC Aero dry wing every time for me, best thing for parachutes, great for spinner wings and is fine for breathers, expensive but worth it IMO.  I treat CDC with watershed before tying with it, makes it much more resistant to drowing and fish slime.

Cheers

Ben

slippy

« Reply #3 on: 06/05/2009 at 16:10 »

Cheers for that Mike,,, it was the bouyancy angle I was wandering about with the poly/antron thing,, I just didn't explain it very well  :oops. I have seen niche products somewhere online so will have a scout around

Ben, how long do you leave cdc before tying after treatment?. I've never used stuff like that and always just relied on the usual floatants.

Thanks, derek.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com