Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Hen or Cock
« on: 22/02/2009 at 13:57 »
When it comes down to hackling how do you decide upon which type of hackle to use.
I just use hen but noticed alot of patterns use cock hackles.

What is the deciding factor?
Every day is a school day for me when it comes to flytying and i am always learning so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Baz.
 :z16

Dave Mundie

Re: Hen or Cock
« Reply #1 on: 22/02/2009 at 14:16 »
Baz Tout Fisherman has an article about hackles in this months issue(jan-feb).

"Due to their differing texture the feathers of both sexes are used - the stiffer, less absorbent cock hackles being ideal for dry flies while the softer, webbier hen hackles better suited to wet flies and nymphs"

Dave

Kevin Muir

« Reply #2 on: 22/02/2009 at 14:28 »
As a general rule, cock hackles were / are used on dry flies and hen hackles on wet (subsurface) flies.

One major exception to this is on palmered loch flies where cock hackles are used for the body hackle.  Non genetic hen hackles are not long enough to palmer a standard size loch style fly.

If you palmer a loch style fly with a genetic hen hackle (longer than a non genetic) the effect can be very nice but as a general rule most palmered flies use a cock hackle for the body hackle.  I do tie a few palmered loch flies with Metz hen hackles.

I prefer to add a slightly longer hen hackle in front of the body hackle to give more movement, the cock hackle also prevents the front hen hackle from collapsing along the body of the fly by supporting the hen hackle fibres.

Some people prefer a cock hackle in front of the body hackle, the best thing to do is to knock up a few of each and fish them to which style you prefer.

River spiders tied to fish subsurface just look wrong with a cock hackle, the softer hen hackle folds back and "kicks" much more than a cock hackle making the pattern look more alive.

Other people may have a different view, this is just what I prefer.

The great thing about tying your own flies is that you can change any pattern to try a different style, the fly police may object but it's YOUR fly.

Unless you are tying to sell to customers, tie the fly the way you like them.

By the way, all the reports from several shops I buy from seem to indicate that genetic cpes are set to rise in price soon by a significant amount, (price of food for the birds and fuel costs for heating the sheds) buy the capes you think you will use now to beat the price rise.

Kev.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 22/02/2009 at 14:44 »
Thanks for that Kev & Dave   :z14

Very intresting read  :z16
I dont mind asking daft question, got to start somewhere  :wink

Kevin Muir

« Reply #4 on: 22/02/2009 at 14:56 »
I will knock up a replacement of the first fly I caught a trout on and show you it nect time we go to the tying evening at Banchory.

You will be laughing for a month.

It was tied on a 3" bench vise and as I had no tying tools or materials I used anything I could find to lash, yes lash the materials to a hook.

The bottom line was it caught me a trout, irrespective of the fact that it was as rough as the rear end of a badger.

To start with the confidence you get catching fish on YOUR flies is what drives you on to improve or learn more about tying flies.

There are no stupid questions in fly tying, we all had to start somewhere.

The major benefit now is the web.

I started out with a book by Jacqueline Wakeford, lots of clear step by step pictures.

The you tube videos from Davie McPhail are where you should be looking for video clips, just superb.

All the best

Kev.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 22/02/2009 at 15:00 »
Have been tying for a couple of seasons now but just like to master one thing first then move on to the next thing.
Mainly tie up buzzers, cormorants, mini lures and thats me now working my way into spider patterns and wets so i will get there eventually i suppose  :wink
Appreciate all the advice i get on here so thanks chaps  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 22/02/2009 at 18:37 »
The very first fly i tied was on a size 10 chub hook, using foreceps as a vice, cotton as thread, cats fur as dubbing and a budgie breast feather as a hackle. Lovely and soft..not sure if it was cock or hen!!..lol

Budgies have some really nice interesting feathers..well worth investigating ;)

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 22/02/2009 at 20:04 »
If you want some help Barry just give me  a call & we can arrange to meet up and do a bit of tying.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 22/02/2009 at 20:37 »
Thanks for that peter  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 22/02/2009 at 22:03 »
I'd go with what Kevin says :z16 good post :z18

It depends what you want the feather to do, if you are going into spiders experiment with some game hackles like partridge, woodcock and grouse, they are softer than hen and pulse beautifully in the water. Starling back feathers are one of my personal favorites, fantastic colours and action. Its good to play.

and like Kev says, they are YOUR flies. I really like that statement :z18 really does sum it all up :cool:

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com