Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Scissors
« on: 18/02/2009 at 09:45 »
General one this.
I currently have a small armoury of entirely inappropriate (pretty blunt) scissors for fly tying (other than one pair Stonefly scissors) which date back to when I started tying some (ahem) 25 years ago.
Along with a tidy up of my kit, which is rapidly taking over the spare bedroom and is a danger zone for the feline members of our household, I'm thinking of splashing out on some nice new ones - along with a couple of other choice additions - and looking for suggestions from fellow fluff manipulators (careful.......  :wink ).

What I need suggestions for:
  • 1 Sharp scissors for fine work.
  • 2 As above but for slightly heavier duty work.

Within reason, I'm happy to throw a fair few quid at the right scissors  :z16

Hamish  :z3

Steven Kidd

Re: Scissors
« Reply #1 on: 18/02/2009 at 10:42 »
I've a pair of Dr Slick's......cost about £10.....so far so good...

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 18/02/2009 at 12:20 »
Hamish

I have a pair of Anvil Long Reach scissors for fine work and a pair of Anvil Untimate for shaping muddler heads etc. Both available from Niche Products and I'm very happy with them. :z15

cheers

Irvine

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #3 on: 18/02/2009 at 12:23 »
I got a set of the Orvis Arrow head ones, Im happy with them!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 18/02/2009 at 13:39 »
You have alllllllll been taken in by the marketing blurb ;)  :z16

Buy scissors from scissor manufacturers, not repackaged craft scissors.. :z7

For medium and heavy weight scissors i use medical grade stainless steel ones. Mine are at least 25 years old and stamped "Panaga Hospital, A & E" :) The joys of knowing a surgeon! This things are truely amazing and have cut everything from bucktail to wire. About £15.

http://www.medisave.co.uk/martin-scissors-standard-operating-sharpblunt-145cm-p-3573.html
http://www.medisave.co.uk/martin-scissors-mayo-straight-15cm-p-3574.html

For super fine work try Megs Attic in Banchory :) She does "tweezer" style scissors used in embroidery etc. One handed operation and super fine points. Mine are around 5 years old and sharp as sharp can be. About £6

http://www.topazcrafts.tv/products/card-making/tools-storage/tweezer-scissors-product.html

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 18/02/2009 at 14:07 »
Allll eh!
Well being a ginger bearded gypsy i tend to buy my scissors from boots or tesco's  :z4
Cuticle ones if i mind correctly for about £5. They do the trick for me  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 18/02/2009 at 16:40 »
I bought a pair of Sportfish own brand Tungsten carbide arrow points a couple of years ago, they are superb :z16
I keep a pair of cheap 3.5" scissors for cutting wire and heavy stuff, but the arrow points are brilliant for everything else.
I tried the extra fine point gold loops a while back and they are very good too, but the tips are easily damaged :z6 Even with my finesse :wink

Still if you can get surgical stuff on the sly then its perfect :wink

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 18/02/2009 at 16:43 »
Still if you can get surgical stuff on the sly then its perfect :wink

Hmmmm - rubs chin...... possibly could  :wink

The set I have at the moment are 'surgical quality' - 20 years ago, anyway :shock

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 18/02/2009 at 17:39 »

I have a pair of Anvil Long Reach scissors for fine work

Me too. Surgical scissors £15   anvils for £17 doesn't seem to be taken in Rob.

Jim Doyle

« Reply #9 on: 18/02/2009 at 18:46 »
I was given a pair of optical surgeons scissors by a dutch friend ,   great scissors , need defending from other tyers when they are in the house.  jim

Peter McCallum

« Reply #10 on: 18/02/2009 at 20:42 »
I was given a pair of optical surgeons scissors by a dutch friend ,   great scissors , need defending from other tyers when they are in the house.  jim

Personally it's the females in the family I have to watch!!! :shock

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 19/02/2009 at 10:15 »
Personally it's the females in the family I have to watch!!! :shock

Indeed, I've lost count of the times I've heard "just borrowed your scissors from the fly tying kit" - ofcourse, it's always the 'good pair' and it's usually to cut something entirely inappropriate  :mad

That's women for you  :roll Can't shoot 'em, can't train 'em  :z4

Derek McLaren

« Reply #12 on: 20/02/2009 at 00:07 »
Indeed, I've lost count of the times I've heard "just borrowed your scissors from the fly tying kit" - ofcourse, it's always the 'good pair' and it's usually to cut something entirely inappropriate  :mad

That's women for you  :roll Can't shoot 'em, can't train 'em  :z4

Same here the three women in my house have managed to ruin two pairs of veinards fine points :cry  :cry

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 20/02/2009 at 07:57 »
So what we're all really saying is any scissors would do, just keep the women folk away from them  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 20/02/2009 at 13:03 »
at least I'm safe
my wife trims her toe nails with a 9" grinder!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com