Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Deer Hair
« on: 15/02/2009 at 23:35 »
Looking to make some Deer hair emergers after seing some nice ones on another site  :shock
Is deer hair just deer hair or do you get certain stuff that is more buoyant/floatable

Anyone got any patterns with deer they would like to share or any tips :?

Cheers
Baz

Iain Goolager

Re: Deer Hair
« Reply #1 on: 16/02/2009 at 07:21 »
Baz,

Kev Muir has a nice but simple DH pattern. Give him a pm.

Iain

I haven't tied any of them yet but will for sure.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 16/02/2009 at 08:29 »
Baz

There are different types of deer hair for different jobs. Some flair so you can form muddler heads and some don't. This should give you some ideas.

http://www.lakelandflytying.com/109/Deer.aspx

Cheers

Irvine

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 16/02/2009 at 08:48 »
Hi Baz

Depends on what you want to do, coastal & elk are pretty safe bets but if you have a stalker friend you could get some Roe/Red (or scour the roads around the mo for road kill)

Try these sites for patterns:

http://www.danica.com/flytier/rwyatt/rwyatt.htm

http://www.flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/  - look under 'patterns' and 'Deer Hair Emerger'

One from davie McPhail

-  The first couple of minutes shows how to put on the wing.

Tight threads

Peter

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 16/02/2009 at 08:57 »
I just happen to have a deer pelt drying in the shed :) Off a deer we butched a few weeks back.

If you want deer hair that is super bouyant then now if the time to get. The winter coat consists of hollow hairs, the summer they are solid...if that makes sense? Winter hair flairs more though, so great for big muddler heads but maybe not so good for "winging".

Also, the hair nearer the belly is more hollow than the hair on the back. According to the keeper thats because they lay on the snow so ther belly needs more insulation. Makes sense to me.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 16/02/2009 at 10:04 »
Rob

I never thought about it like that, cool, makes perfect sense. This would go for all species of native deer i would imagine :z16

As for flytying, i hate the stuff, horrible spiky, unruly stuff. I use coastal for emergers when i have too, a nice soft piece i shoppped around for (took a while to find it) its nice and dark :wink (probably summer coat judging by what i've just learned).
You used to be able to get a sample pack with strips of several types, not sure if they are still available. A good idea for exploring the material.

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 16/02/2009 at 16:54 »
I never thought about it like that, cool, makes perfect sense. This would go for all species of native deer i would imagine :z16

I only found out the other week off of Sophia Strang Steel who was doing the "butchery mastre class" for us :)..Well, Richard did the skinning but Sophia did the explaining and finer "cuts" :)

Anyway, yes, ALL deer will vary there coat through the year, with the longer haired deer producing the hollower fibres..i guess because the base of the hair is wider the longer it is??

I wonder if this goes for other furs too? Certainly the rabbit pelts I have just now are much thicker than the summer ones and i prefer them for Pike Bunny Bugs as they give a bigger fly.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 16/02/2009 at 17:28 »
I just happen to have a deer pelt drying in the shed :) Off a deer we butched a few weeks back.

If you want deer hair that is super bouyant then now if the time to get. The winter coat consists of hollow hairs, the summer they are solid...if that makes sense? Winter hair flairs more though, so great for big muddler heads but maybe not so good for "winging".

Also, the hair nearer the belly is more hollow than the hair on the back. According to the keeper thats because they lay on the snow so ther belly needs more insulation. Makes sense to me.

Very intresting to hear what the keeper was saying.
Do you have any spare Rob  :wink
Its super bouyant stuff iam after for the likes  of muddlers and Emergers  :z16

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 16/02/2009 at 17:30 »
Baz

There are different types of deer hair for different jobs. Some flair so you can form muddler heads and some don't. This should give you some ideas.

http://www.lakelandflytying.com/109/Deer.aspx

Cheers

Irvine

Thanks for that Irvine  :z16
How come fishing products are never simple and have to many things the same, shame you could not get a one size fits all on every product  :z6

Irvine Ross

« Reply #9 on: 17/02/2009 at 08:39 »
Thanks for that Irvine  :z16
How come fishing products are never simple and have to many things the same, shame you could not get a one size fits all on every product  :z6

Baz

Its a bit like capes, you need hen capes, cock capes, genetic capes for dry flies, Indian capes for wet files. If only there was a one size fits all cape I would be a much wealthier man. Or maybe not. I would have found something else to spend it on. :grin

Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 17/02/2009 at 15:24 »
Very intresting to hear what the keeper was saying.
Do you have any spare Rob  :wink
Its super bouyant stuff iam after for the likes  of muddlers and Emergers  :z16

I am working on that...its Cassie thats wanting to tan the hide to make into something (no idea what) so i am praying the tanning goes wrong and i get to use the pelt myself!! If thats the case you are more than welcome to some :)

Its laying all "salted up" just now.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 17/02/2009 at 15:46 »
Fine time of year to do it, wont be any maggots knocking around!
I was at a lads garage in the summer and he was about to give me some hairs masks, once i had a wee peek inside them i noticed a few  :shock maggots. Needless to say i never took them home  :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #12 on: 20/03/2009 at 20:38 »
Just tied up a batch of deer hair bread flies, what a mess the floor in my cabin is in now  :shock.
That was my first effort and turns out they are awfy easy to tie.
Will stick a couple of photos up tomorrow  :z16
Anyone else tied bread flies before? Iam thinking they might get me a grass carp  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com