Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dario

waterproofs
« on: 28/01/2009 at 13:29 »
Hi Guys, although I dont write very often, but I do read this forum nearly every day... so in one way or another I feel part of it.

the above kind of apology, is because I dont come here with gifts, but with another question, that you may be able to help me with  :oops

I am looking to buy a set of waterproof trousers and jacket, mainly for boat fishing, or bank fishing (where waiding is not allowed).

so far I have used a set from trespass, which it serve the purpose; with only drawback that the trousers had a breadable bit, so when the sky opened (very often in this lovely Scotland), water leaked inside. so I had to wear them back to front.

My choice for a new set is to an extent limited by the value (say around £100.00 or less if possible). On the other hand I have seen guys wearing branded waterproofs, which looked the part, but did not do what they suppose to do, and they had more watter inside that outside.

So having, hopefully made sense of my dilema, do you guys have any recomendation on:

a) outfits - brands
b) website or shop (please note that I reside in Edinburgh) where I can get your recommendation.

Once again I willl like to thank in advance for any advise provided.

Dario

Rob Brownfield

Re: waterproofs
« Reply #1 on: 28/01/2009 at 15:00 »
Hi Dario,
If you are not fussed about wearing "proper fishing clothes" then you will not go far wrong with a set of Goretex waterproofs as worn by the British Army. The jacket is especially good as it is high necked and has a roll away peaked hood. You can wear a wooly hat underneath with plenty of room to spare.

Have a look here.. http://www.transworldsurplus.co.uk/water_proofs.asp well under £100 for goretex!

Dario

« Reply #2 on: 28/01/2009 at 15:24 »
Hi Rob,
thanks for you suggestion.
Whilst ideally I would like to have the 'proper fishing gear'. I was dissapointed to see guys wearing the branded clothes, and getting less value for money than I was with a regular waking set of waterproofs. I would look into more details into the link you have sent. Also I would like to explore the lower budget fishing outfits available. But the question will be: 'Am I going to get value for the money? I.e. Am I going to keep dry?.

Dario

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 28/01/2009 at 15:33 »
Hi Dario :cool:

You'll find a couple of good offers here http://www.snowbee.co.uk/warehouse_clearance_sale.html

I use the boat jacket and have found it to be a good product :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 28/01/2009 at 16:29 »
A pleasure :)

I have spent a fortune on waterproofs over the years, many of the "angling" ones promising loads and delivering little. As Mike says, Smowbee have a good reputation, as do Pro Logic (I have there Thermo Armour gear for pike fishing).

If you want the ultimate in waterproofs which can be worn both for fishing, walking and day to day, the Paramo is the way to go. You can see the range in Hilltrek in Aboyne. Stunning quality. I have one of there smocks and its amazing!

Hilltrek also do there own range from Ventile and will even make you a jacket to your spec, and its not too expensive.

Good luck :)

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 28/01/2009 at 16:32 »
To this day i have not even found good hiking waterproofs  :z6
But for fishing Breathable chest waders are brilliant!
Never get wet and can kneel down and not have to bother about getting them dirty  :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 28/01/2009 at 17:40 »
Dario

I have the Scierra Aquatex  wading jacket , used it for a couple of seasons with no problems , they do a 3/4 jacket + bib and brace

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/ProductsInCounter.cfm?subcat=3157&ShopRef=23&cat=346

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 28/01/2009 at 18:50 »
I bought a goretex army jacket similar to the one in the link above and it was rubbish. Im another that wears my breathable waders when bank or boat fishing.   

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 28/01/2009 at 19:20 »
I can't speak from experience , but this company has a good repuation with the English Match Fishermen

http://www.protak.com/NewFiles/ClothingOffers.html

:z18

Jim

Dave B

« Reply #9 on: 28/01/2009 at 21:56 »
Hi, right then waterproofs, I have had loads over the years, this is the list:
Hardy EWS Jacket and Overtrousers
Scierra Aquatex Jacket and overtrousers

Both the above have been good, but, and its big but - NOT 100% waterproof! Nether have kept me dry fishing for 8 hours on Rutland water in strong wind and rain.

However I do agree that waders do work - and so they should, but they can be bulky and over warm if you want to be moving about a lot, and you will still need a good waterproof jacket.

Now unlike the one comment in the above notes, the only jacket and trousers that I have that have never let me down, are, yes my ex-mil camo Goretex jacket and overtrousers, I have had them for 9 years and they still do not let any water in. But be aware they are not that warm, most do not have pockets (this is because its meant to be worn under the army combat smock - which has pockets) and they don't look that good, but if you are not bothered about looks and want function and to stay dry - then go with them. But do make sure you get the puka ones. Some of the sites advertise army waterproofs - these are the old style plastic waterproof and not Goretex and as such do not breath, you will end up as wet on the in side as the out!

Myself i Still wear my Hardy stuff day to day but I always carry my army Goretex - if it really starts to tip it down, I quickly put this on over the top of my other clothing, and it works a treat. If its tipping down from the start, no contest, army Goretex straight away, with good windstopper fleece and under garments below. Hope this helps.

Dave B. :z4

Kev Danby

« Reply #10 on: 28/01/2009 at 21:57 »
Hi Dario I purchased the stillwater waterproofs from Glasgow angling center. They have kept me dry on the limited occasions i have been out. Personally i would reccomend the bib and brace rather than trousers (they always seem to drop down). They did have a deal on to buy the outer wear and get a free fleece, they ran out of fleeces so they upgraded to the soft cell jacket they are a nice green colour. The only niggle i have is the bib and brace has a padded rear (ok for a boat but not so good for the bank).

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 29/01/2009 at 08:36 »
If its tipping down from the start, no contest, army Goretex straight away, with good windstopper fleece and under garments below. Hope this helps.

:z16 :z16 Like you say, there are a few fakes about that do not live upto the original garments.

Like you, mine go everywhere with me..just in case.

Dario

« Reply #12 on: 29/01/2009 at 09:06 »
Gents I really appreciate your input and advice. I will look into your recommendations, and hopefully I will find the Waterproof of my life  :z4

Regards.

Dario  :z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 29/01/2009 at 09:12 »
the only trousers that I have that have never let me down, are, yes my ex-mil camo Goretex overtrousers

Ditto :z16 Mine are brilliant. although i normally have Waders on down the river, i wear them in the boat a lot. They are also the only things i've found that keep the bairn dry, and thats saying something :roll, never used the jacket though.

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com