Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

The smell of varnish
« on: 19/01/2009 at 21:45 »
Is it just me :z8

I have looked at various types of varnish over the last few months, but i just cant get into them at all.
I still Love to use Veniards cellire varnish no.1.
I love the way it smells, it just puts me in the mood for flytying anything else just doesn't seem right.
funny how little things affect confidence :roll.
I've thought about this for a while but it was Baz mentioning your "first" fly in the other post that brought it to mind again.
It was the first varnish i used and along with the smell of mothballs, it invokes all those fantastic memories :z18

Great :cool:

Sandy

Barry Robertson

Re: The smell of varnish
« Reply #1 on: 19/01/2009 at 21:48 »
I love the smell to maybe more than i should  :oops
Get some funny looks taking it offshore in my soap bag, some places wont allow it offshore either  :mad
Does veniards smell diff from Sally Hansen - they must all be the same i takle it  :z8

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 20/01/2009 at 08:33 »
Well not for me.

I use the completely non-smelly Fly-Rite head cement from Niche Products. I think it penetrates better than the old Cellire varnish and gives me a low gloss finish which I like better. I doubt if the trout notice :wink

Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 20/01/2009 at 08:49 »
Mmmmmmmm...varnish!

Yip envokes lots of memories, inclusing knocking a bottle over onto the carpet (i tend to tie flies sitting on the floor!) and then having the room smell of varnish for months!!!

Dave Mundie

« Reply #4 on: 20/01/2009 at 21:16 »
Wish i could join in on this topic but as i got no sense of smell  :cry i guess i cant.

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com