Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kev Danby

MP magic tool
« on: 15/01/2009 at 09:42 »
I recived one of these for christmas and have been messing about with materials CDC, synthetics etc etc. A bit fiddly to start with but I'm getting there. I have mainly been using a dubbing loop which tends to make the hackle a CDC bit more bulkier than i would like. The directions and You tube vids show the thread being split. The thread I have is I think uni thread and this splits but I find it difficult can any one recommend a good thread to split.

Thanks

Kev

Cameron deBoth

Re: MP magic tool
« Reply #1 on: 15/01/2009 at 09:51 »
I recived one of these for christmas and have been messing about with materials CDC, synthetics etc etc. A bit fiddly to start with but I'm getting there. I have mainly been using a dubbing loop which tends to make the hackle a CDC bit more bulkier than i would like. The directions and You tube vids show the thread being split. The thread I have is I think uni thread and this splits but I find it difficult can any one recommend a good thread to split.

Thanks

Kev

I had a shot of one of these before xmas, was a cool tool and I've been meaning to get one for month now. Just not got round to it, also kinto from buying my car lol.

I know ben was using a thread that split easily on the Fly Tying night at his shop. You could wing a pm in his direction as I cant remember what type of thread it was.

Cam

PDScott

« Reply #2 on: 15/01/2009 at 18:00 »
Kev,
I have used the Magic tool for a couple of years now and I ordered the Petitjean thread, used in the DVD, from Lakeland Fly- Tying. It splits very easily without any fraying which, in my experience, can happen with some other threads. The secret appears to be to get the thread as flat as possible and this makes it easier to split. I have had some great days at Haddo using the dries produced from this tool and look forward to better weather to get out again.
All the best
Peter

Dave Mundie

« Reply #3 on: 15/01/2009 at 18:01 »
Excuse my ignorance but what is a MP magic tool :?

Any pics :?

Dave

PDScott

« Reply #4 on: 15/01/2009 at 18:43 »
Excuse my ignorance but what is a MP magic tool ?

Any pics ?

Dave

Dave,
If you go on to the Lakeland Fly-tying website you and look under Marc Petitjean you will be able to see the Magic tool ( or tools) but without seeing a video of how they operate, they don't look much.

Basically they enable you to use the fibres of CDC hackles without the main rib of the feather. The various clips are used to hold the fibres while the rib is removed and then inserted into a split thread which is spun to lock the fibres in place. The action of spinning the thread causes the fibres to stand out at right angles to the thread and when they are wound on to the hook they give a very "buggy" look. This is a fairly simplified explanation but when you see it in action it all makes sense (I hope)
Hope this helps
Peter

Kev Danby

« Reply #5 on: 16/01/2009 at 13:22 »
Thanks Pete i'll take a look.

Dave if you search you tube for Marc Petijean you should come up with a few videos of the MP magic tool.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 16/01/2009 at 20:42 »
Hi Kev,

long time no see. Feel free to post pictures of your creations.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 16/01/2009 at 22:06 »

long time no see. Feel free to post pictures of your creations.

would echo that, how are you all.
 :z16

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 16/01/2009 at 22:29 »
Was that a funny Sandy? :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 17/01/2009 at 09:07 »
Was that a funny Sandy? :wink

Nope, Not seen Kev for ages, babies eat fishing time :z6, Been there, done that, taught the baby to fish :z16 :z12

Sandy

Dave Mundie

« Reply #10 on: 17/01/2009 at 20:08 »

Dave if you search you tube for Marc Petijean you should come up with a few videos of the MP magic tool.

thanks i see what its about now

dave

Kev Danby

« Reply #11 on: 18/01/2009 at 15:00 »
Hi Sandy the fishing and fly tying has taken a bit of a back burner these last few months but hopefully I will be able to make some time this year to get out and about more. I did try last sunday to fish Haddo but it was frozen over so I fished Loch Insch which did have the bonus of the wife popping over with Aaron (his first fishing trip). He was in charge of landing a couple of trout but was mortified when I put them back because as far as he was concerned that was dinner.

He has shown plenty of intrest so hopefully i'll have loads of excuses for fishing trips in the coming years.

Had a quick chat with Iain today in Craigdons so I'm off to dent the wallet at lakeland.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 18/01/2009 at 22:28 »
Excellant stuff :z16

Hopefully see ya soon :z18

Sandy

Michael Buchan

« Reply #13 on: 19/01/2009 at 16:51 »
Hey guys,

Just incase it saves you £25 i was watching one of the Oliver Edwards essential skills Dvds and he suggested instead you could get the same results as a magic tool from making a thin slice in a block of foam which you can pull the CDC down into to fold over then using an ordinary bulldog clip to pick it up and then cut away the stem as you do with the magic tool apparently.  Might not work but could be worth a try.

Thanks
Michael

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com