Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Orvis fly tying night inspiration
« on: 08/01/2009 at 22:00 »
Well, got home tonight and started tying up some Klinkhammers as demonstrated by Ben on Wednesday. I think mine have too big a hackle but i dont have anything shorter. I think they will still catch though! :)

A variation of Bens tying from Wednesday

As I am tying for Grayling just now I thought I would be silly and do a pink one!

Then I went for a stonefly kinda monster thingy. Bit scruffy, but thats how i like them! Used some of the techniques Ben had shown.

Then I decided to do some more Czech Nymphs. This one is weighted with 3 layers of lead.

And a pink one of course!!!

And a slim one with no lead.

And a sparkly one using Spectra Dub. Excellent stuff!!

Thats just under 80 Grayling flies tied in 3 evenings...and i am starting to enjoy the challenge once more, thanks to the inspiration of some of the folk on this site! :)

Sorry for the poor photos, could not get the light right so things are a bit dull and fuzzy.

Barry Robertson

Re: Orvis fly tying night inspiration
« Reply #1 on: 08/01/2009 at 22:02 »
Some nice flies there Rob  :z16
The klinks look like they could be usefull, when did this spectra dub come on the scene?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 08/01/2009 at 22:35 »
No idea! I bought a presentation box of it the other week in Somers ( :shock :shock rare for me to spend money there..lol) because it looked soooooo good! Its made by Eumer and was £15 for a box of 12 colours. Does not look much but you only need the tiniest amount to get good hook coverage.

http://www.eumer.com/index.php?name=ProductBrowser&nodeIDX=671&parentIDX=4421rootIDX=0

I got the Dark Assortmant and its been great for either creating something sparkly or adding a tinky bit of glint for more subtle nymphs and buzzers.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 08/01/2009 at 22:45 »
Excellent flies Rob ..... Thanks for sharing them! :z16

The first of the czech nymphs caught my attention, do you fancy doing a "step by step" for us?

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 09/01/2009 at 08:46 »

The first of the czech nymphs caught my attention, do you fancy doing a "step by step" for us?

Funny thats what i was thinking too,

Nice flies Rob, i wouldn't worry too much about the size of the Klinkhammer hackles, in faster water, it should work better. Tying them too short does cause problems though :z6
Been there, done that :z4 :z4 :z4

Cool :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 09/01/2009 at 09:05 »
Cheers chaps..thanks for the kind words.

Mike, I could do a SBS if you wanted....if I can sort out my lighting!!!

Sandy, I was thinking that about the faster water as thats exactly where I want to try them. Going to tye up a heap of smaller black ones for stillwater work for the summer. They will have a shorter more dense hackle.

So strange tyring size 18's when i have been tying size 8/0 for the last few years!!!! My fingers feel like sausages!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 09/01/2009 at 20:02 »
Cracking flies Rob,

and as said the small black klink was very successfull for me last season in both ripple and flat calm (stillwaters)- now that can't be bad, my go to surface fly.

Here is a photo I took earlier of a Klink hackle and post that I cut off of a fly which had a drip of Fly-Tite applied to the hackle/ thorax junction after tying.  100% confident on the flies' durability with this method.   

and a collection of Klinks with a variety of yarn posts - all float well although some are easier to handle when tying the fly.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 09/01/2009 at 21:05 »
Cool

Iain,

You should market that top one as a device for finding those impossible holes, it would sure make most guys lives a  lot easier :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 09/01/2009 at 21:08 »
Some nice flies there Iain  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 09/01/2009 at 21:26 »
Some nice flies there Iain  :z16

Bet you like the pink ones :wink

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #10 on: 09/01/2009 at 21:27 »
Bet you like the pink ones :wink

lol bet that goes for a lot of things!  :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 09/01/2009 at 21:30 »
The brown ones are a  close second  :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 09/01/2009 at 21:32 »
Aye about 2" close.

But remember Poor Cam wont know about that yet :cry

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 09/01/2009 at 21:38 »
Poor lad, one day he might get it  :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 09/01/2009 at 21:39 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com