Sandy Nelson

The Barrio Winter Fly Tying Competition
« Reply #15 on: 20/12/2006 at 19:31 »
A stillwater trout fly - you decide what that means :wink:

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 03/01/2007 at 19:59 »
Henry and Andrew brought their entries along to Haddo today Sandy and Henry donated a few extras for the auction too.  :cool:

How are the "postal" entries coming along?

Best wishes
Mike
 :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 04/01/2007 at 17:05 »
Jay gave me his flies for the competition entry today  :z16

Hmmm ........ No flies from Magnus, Peter or Allan Liddle yet?  :shock:

Best wishes
Mike
 :z2

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 06/01/2007 at 16:54 »
I got some nice flies from John Brown yesterday ........ and he "proved" that they worked on the day too!  :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: 10/01/2007 at 19:22 »
Only 5 days left.

If you are cutting it fine, i'll allow a couple of extra days if you PM me to say they are on their way.
So far all the entries look really good.
Its going to be very hard :z6 Hopefully 3 opinions will filter out the winners though :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 13/01/2007 at 16:36 »
Quote from: "spiderman"

Its going to be very hard :z6 Hopefully 3 opinions will filter out the winners though :z16

Yes, hard work indeed .......... maybe I should take a bottle of malt along for the evening when we get together  :wink:

Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #21 on: 13/01/2007 at 18:15 »
Cool, what you going to drink Mike :?:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: 13/01/2007 at 18:39 »
Well I'm driving, so he can drink what he likes.

I can always make unruly passengers walk home :lol:

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 13/01/2007 at 18:50 »
I have got a few drops left of something rather nice ....... yes I know what I'll take along  :wink:

:z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 16/01/2007 at 12:35 »
Last Day today for the first leg.

So if anyone has put flies in the post today, let me know.
Otherwise thats it for the stillwater flies.

Next up will be a SALMON fly. Same rules as before, entries to be in by the 15th of February. Should be good to think about with the season just around the corner :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 16/01/2007 at 20:32 »
Hi Sandy

I have some flies coming from Peter, probably in a parcel that they couldn't get through my letter box yesterday?

I've got a card to collect a parcel from the post office, but wasn't up to collecting it this morning cause my back has been killing me for a couple of days and walking etc is a tad painful ( so is sitting in this chair for more than a couple of minutes! )

Will get them to you asap

Mike

Peter McCallum

Flees
« Reply #26 on: 16/01/2007 at 22:27 »
That'll be them Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #27 on: 23/01/2007 at 15:20 »
:z5 ROUND ONE RESULTS  :z5

Hi folks

Sandy and myself enjoyed some splendid hospitality at Hamish's residence yesterday evening and I am now in a position to reveal the top five flies from round one:

(5th) John Brown "jbb"
(4th) Chris McAllister "Turra"
(3rd) Irvine Ross "Hares Lug"
(2nd) Derek Howie "derek 365"
(1st) Peter McCallum "rabbitangler"

Well done Peter, as the winner of round one you have won yourself a day's fishing on Haddo .........  :z14

NOW THEN DON'T FORGET THAT ........... all those who entered were awarded points for their flies and these points will obviously count towards your final scores at the end of the three rounds ......... so that you can win the main prize, which is a fly rod  :cool:

ROUND TWO IS UNDERWAY and Sandy has asked you to tie a SALMON fly for this one. The same rules apply as in round one, the prize for the round is once again a day's fishing at Haddo and your entries are to be in by the 15th of February.
SO ....... what are you waiting for?  :z8  get your vice out  :wink:  

I'll try to get some photos of the flies posted on here soon
Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #28 on: 23/01/2007 at 16:49 »
All the entries were good, especially considering some of you have only just started.
The main points that seem to have gotten raised when we discussed the flies were, some of the flies were overly complicated, some of the varnishing left a lot to be desired and quite a few of the patterns would not quite achieve the desired effect in the water due to either the wrong choice of material or lack of a significant feature.
However although we did come up with different marks individually, the final scores seemed like an accurate reflection on the flies.
What i can say is there is plenty scope for the overall comp to change many times as most of the combined marks were fairly similar.

I thoroughly enjoyed looking at peoples ideas, and i'm looking forward to the next batch.

:z16

Sandy

Peter McCallum

« Reply #29 on: 23/01/2007 at 21:59 »
God I can't believe that, can't even remember what they were like :oops:  will they be posted soon??

Peter :grin:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com