Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Starting Fly tying
« on: 07/01/2009 at 18:50 »
I'm thinking of starting to tie some fly's, would i be best to buy one of those cheap £20 kits (tools inc) to see how i get on or would i be best getting everything seperatly :?

Dave

Barry Robertson

Re: Starting Fly tying
« Reply #1 on: 07/01/2009 at 19:01 »
My advice would be to get  seperates or go to a shop where they wont rip you off and ask for the essentials to start off!.
All you need IMHO is the following:

Cheapish rotary vice
scissors
Bobbin holder
Whip finish tool - optional
varnish
Hackle pliers

These tools would do for most of the basic flies!
It all depends what you want to start tying dave!
For buzzers all you need is some coloured threads , black, red and tan and some various tinsels.
If you want more details on  types of tinsels and threads or hooks let me know  :z16

Dave Mundie

« Reply #2 on: 07/01/2009 at 20:33 »
If you want more details on  types of tinsels and threads or hooks let me know  :z16

Well i'm a complete noob so all the help i get the better.
What type of flies do i want to  tie well i don't really know just want to try and see  where it takes me.
I also dont have a clue as to what feathers, fur, hair ect  are what

Dave

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2009 at 20:41 »
I think the best thing to do would be to go to a club or meet up at someones house to learn the basics!
So much to type!
But if you wanted to start of with buzzers or cormorants i could give you a list of materials you would require  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 07/01/2009 at 22:51 »
Dave

Tricky one. I would suggest starting with a cheap kit is a good way to get a few bits you will use and lots you wont, however it gives you lots of stuff to experiment with
And thats how we all learn :z16

Cheap vices are good for starting as are cheapo tools, then you can upgrade as you need.
Once you get into the tying of flies then you will start to decide what you want to tie and THEN the slippery slope starts
As you start to buy a bit here and a bit there to make what you want.

I would suggest that perhaps a really good way to start is with something like this which gives you, a good selection of useful materials without to great an outlay

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/33876/Beginner%27s_Material_Fly_Tying_Kit.html

And then you could acquire, beg, steal or borrow some tools or add something like http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/33876/Beginner%27s_Material_Fly_Tying_Kit.html and a vice http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/34073/Super_II_Vice.html  then you have some half decent tools as well.

And it looks OK :z16

Or you could go for something like this http://www.lakelandflytying.com/2989/products/Wapsi_Fly_Tying_Starter_Kit.aspx  Which also looks like a great way to start tying flies to me.
Its a bit more but looks like it has good stuff in it.

I'm sure there are others out there too, if you try to list all the stuff you would want to start, we will have a different list, best to learn how to tie any old flies first and then you decide where you want it to go.

Sandy

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 07/01/2009 at 23:20 »
Where are you based Dave- there may be a club or forum member close by.

Dave Mundie

« Reply #6 on: 08/01/2009 at 17:11 »
@ Sandy
Yes thats what i was thinking have a muck around with cheap stuff first to see how i get on first and if i get into it i can upgrade as time goes on.

Where are you based Dave- there may be a club or forum member close by.

I'm in Pitmedden, there was a weekly night at the Mastrick community center but i just not been able to get time to make it. Is it still running after the festive period anyone else go to it?

Dave

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 08/01/2009 at 17:28 »
Think it starts again tonight. A very good place to find like minds & good tyers who are keen and willing to help. Ask for Kevin.

Peter

Dave Mundie

« Reply #8 on: 09/01/2009 at 10:02 »
Going into town today so might see what Sommers have on offer.

Dave

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 09/01/2009 at 10:18 »
Stick your head around the door at Orvis in Banchory, Ben has/had assembled a beginners outfit for a reasonable price  :z16

Could be worth a look  :z17

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #10 on: 09/01/2009 at 11:07 »
Stick your head around the door at Orvis in Banchory, Ben has/had assembled a beginners outfit for a reasonable price  :z16

was away to mention that also!

Dave Mundie

« Reply #11 on: 09/01/2009 at 11:18 »

Yes it would be but im going to be pushed for time today.

Dave

Dave Mundie

« Reply #12 on: 11/01/2009 at 18:24 »
Got myself a kit from sommers and a vice/tools now i've to find the time to get going now. :z16

Dave

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 11/01/2009 at 19:28 »
Have fun :z16
 :z12

Sandy

Dave Mundie

« Reply #14 on: 18/01/2009 at 17:55 »
Not got anything tied yet :cry cant seem to get my head round this whip finish tool  :z8 cant start if i cant finish its a bit frustrating :mad

Dave

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com